Welcome to Epsom History.com
The town of Epsom, Merrimack County, New Hampshire, was
chartered in 1727 and soon after, the first 20 home lots began to be settled.
Tracing these early settlers of Epsom evolved over the last decade to
encompass this website, home to the Epsom Historical Association. The
menu bar at the top of the page will guide you to the various sections
of the website, and there are quick links to the more popular research
areas on the right side of the page. For the best search results, click
on Site Search
in the menu bar, as there are different search boxes for various parts
of the website. Whether browsing or researching, please sign
our guest book.
The first and second ranges in the second division
of lots in Epsom ran from the Pembroke line north and included the Fowler
District, Jug City Road, part of Route 28 and a portion of Mill House Road.
It was divided into two ranges containing 20 lots, with the westerly side
the first range second division, and the easterly side the second range,
second division. Among the families that resided in the area were Martin,
Lovejoy, Fowler, Dolloff, Gordon and Burnham. View
At the time Charles McCoy was living in Epsom
there was a 'Suncook Road' leading over the hill from Center Hill to Allenstown.
This road is mentioned in deeds as early as 1752, and it was in 1768 that
the town laid out the current road from Center Hill to New Rye. It was extended
in 1772 'partly on the old way' through land of Levi Cass. Early deeds refer
to this road as simply 'the Hill Road' and later as Sanborn Hill Road. The
families that settled on the hill were the McCoy's, Sanborn's and Sander's.
Along with these families were Daniel Goss and Charles Quimby, and at the
foot of the hill, Samuel Blake. Samuel Blake sold a couple small lots at
the base of the road occupied by families of Chesley, Weeks and Hall. The
road is no longer a through road, ending as it approaches New Rye.. .. View
North Road to 107 covers the families that occupied
the northeastern part of Epsom from Pittsfield south to Deerfield. This
includes North Road to the area of Lords Mill, down Route 107. The area
was also home to several lesser known Epsom families, including the Pettingills,
Emersons and McDaniels. The North Road was also where the First New Hampshire
Turnpike crossed through Epsom from Northwood to Chichester and where toll
gate number 4 stood. The Yeaton Tavern accommodated travelers for many years.
Other families later included several lines of Brown's, and several families
who were Quakers and associated with the Friend's Meetinghouse in South
Pittsfield. . View