The annual ice cream
social was held at the Sanborn homestead on Sanborn Hill on July
23rd with a large gathering in attendance. Thanks to host Sarah
Harkness for allowing us to visit the homestead and to Ed and
Glenna Nutter for providing the ice cream and toppings. The ice
cream was served in the barn which was built about 1826.
The program on the
Sanborn Family and homestead was given by Carleton Rand. The land
was drawn by Joseph Simpson and sold to Charles McCoy, who earlier
had settled in the town prior to the lots being drawn, and warned
out. The Indians burned his house down and captured his wife Isabella.
Later, he applied for a tavern license, and in 1760 sold the property
to Reuben and Eliphalet Sanborn. Following Eliphalet's death,
his son Josiah lived on the homestead and raised a large family.
The barn burned in 1825. The family owned the property until the
early 1960's when sold to Samuel Clark. Through the years before,
the Sanborns lived in Minnesota and Princeton, Ma, using the house
usually part of the time in the summer. Local residents were engaged
during that time to care for the property.
View from the Sanborn homestead
Thanks all for attending
and being part of one of our largest gatherings in a while!
Above, main fireplace in kitchen at the Sanborn Homestead