Surnames starting with R

RAND, Loretta R.
Nov. 29, 1936
Union Leader 11-29-1936
EPSOM, Nov. 29 - Mrs. Lovetta R. Beckler Rand, 65, died this morning after a long illness at her home in Gossville. She was born in Port Medway, Nova Scotia, Aug. 15, 1871, the daughter of Luke Plumb. She has no immediate survivors. Funeral services will be held Tuesday at the funeral home of Kilkenny and Calkins in Concord.

RAND, Mary (Fogg)
Independent Statesman
In Epsom, April 11, Mrs. Mary Rand, widow of Stephen Rand, aged 82 years, 9 months

RAND, Mary (Stockbridge)
Independent Statesman
In this city [Concord] Nov. 7., Mrs. Mary Rand, widow of Tobias T. Rand, formerly of Epsom, aged 85 years, 4 months

RAND, Michal
Dover Gazette & Strafford Advertiser
In Epsom, Jan. 5 of consumption, Mr. Michal Rand, aged 21 years, after an illness of twelve months. - Printers in Vermont, Maine, &c.

RAND, Newell
New Hampshire Statesman
In Epsom, Mr. Newell Rand, formerly of Lake Village, aged 31

RAND, Stephen
New Hampshire Statesman
In Epsom, Aug. 24, Mr. Stephen Rand, aged 81

RAND, Tobias T.
New Hampshire Statesman
In Suncook Village, April 11, Tobias T. Rand, aged 72, formerly of Epsom

REAMES, Walter T.
January 21, 1956
Paper Unknown
EPSOM, Jan. 23 - Funeral services for Walter T. Reams, 79, who died Saturday afternoon at his home here after a long illness, will be held Wednesday afternoon at the Epsom Baptist church.
Mr. Reams was a native of Abilene, Kansas, and had resided in Wakefield, Mass., before coming here five years ago. He was a former member of the Knights of Columbus. He served as sexton of the Greenwood Union church at Wakefield. He had been employed as assistant manager of the Malden, Mass., office of the John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance company.
Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Olive N. Reams; three daughters, Mrs. Carolyn Thomas of this town, Mrs. Ruth Eldridge and Mrs. Dorothea Cullen, both in Massachusetts; nine grandchildren. Rev. Harry Birch, pastor of the Greenwood Union church, will conduct the rites.

ROBINSON Elizabeth, (Fifield)
New Hampshire Statesman & Journal
In Portland, Me. 25th ult very suddenly Mrs. Elizabeth, wife of Mr. Levi Robinson, formerly of Epsom, 87.

Independent Statesman
In Epsom, Jun 9, Wm Robinson aged 79 years

ROBY, Charles H.
New Hampshire Statesman
In Manchester, Mr. Charles H. Roby, of Epsom, aged 25

ROSS, John C.
NH Patriot
In Epsom, May 4, of pulmonary consumption, Mr. John C. Ross, aged 32. He enlisted in the army of the United States in 1808. In 1811, in the company commanded by the late Capt. Geo. W. Prescott of Portsmouth, he went with the fourth regiment, (of which the gallant Miller was then lieutenant colonel) to the sources of the Wabash; and in the battle of Tippecanoe, (the prelude to the war that soon followed) was severely wounded in the breast by an Indian arrow. In the spring of 1813, he joined the Kentucky volunteers who were descending the Miami, for the relief of Fort Meigs, then closely invested by the British and Indians. Ross accompanied that portion of the relieving army which landed the west side of the river to storm the British batteries which they did with great gallantry; but not satisfied with this victory, and pursuing the enemy too far, were drawn into an ambuscade, and nearly all cut off. When Col. Dudley was wounded, Ross was near him, and saw the Colonel kill an Indian with his own hand, and soon after fall by a second shot, while cheering and exhorting his men. Ross escaped from the massacre, and while attempting to cross the rapids, was struck by a musket ball, which lodged in his body, and was never extracted. He was assisted across the river by Stephen Knight, now living in Northwood, and by another soldier by the name of Cook, who with others rushed from the fort into the water to save their comrades escaping from the slaughter. Notwithstanding this disaster, the siege was soon raised, and the enemy retreated. In the ensuing summer, Ross participated with the brave Crogham and his small but fearless garrison in the memorable defense of Fort Stephenson on the Sandusky. After the war he returned to his old quarters, Fort Constitution in this State, where he continued in the service till the effects of his wound, and the increase of the disease which carried him to his grave, rendered him too feeble for duty, when he was honorably discharged. Reader! Let not the memory of those who fought and bled for our liberties, or of those who fought and bled to maintain them, be forgotten!