Early Settlers of Epsom in pdf format

From the Granite Monthly Magazine 1909-1910

Early Settlers of Epsom
By J.M. Moses

The standard history of Epsom is that by J. H. Dolbeer, Esq., included in Hurd's history of Merrimack County. His sources were mainly the town records and a historical pamphlet written by Rev. Jonathan Curtiss in 1823. Mr. Curtiss got his information mostly from tradition, as children of some of the first settlers were then living.
While Mr. Dolbeer's history is very full, considering the space limits imposed, it could not include many particulars about early settlers and their locations. I hope to supplement it somewhat in this respect.
Mr. Curtiss wrote: "It appears from various facts that there were a number of families in town a considerable time before its incorporation." (Incorporated May 18, 1727.)
No doubt adventurous white men, hunters and trappers roamed the forests and camped at various places, in more or less Indian fashion, at very early dates. It is harder to believe that white families lived in this section before they could have title to land, and I have not seen that assumed by other historians. On the contrary, Epsom and the adjoining towns were incorporated too early, before settlement was practicable, as a means of holding the land against the encroachments of Massachusetts.
It was not till June 12, 1732, that any lots were laid out or any attempt at settlement was made by the proprietors of Epsom, so far as the records show. Then twenty fifty-acre home lots, with thirty acres each of out-lying land, were granted to twenty proprietors, who undertook to settle the first twenty families. The requirement was only to build a house and settle a family and plant or sow three acres on each lot. There was no requirement as to how long the families should stay. At least one lot was forfeited from failure to comply with these conditions.
The charter required that the annual meetings should be held in Epsom as soon as the settlement was'' perfected,'' meaning, I suppose, the twenty families and improvements required by the charter. No meetings were held there before 1742, and they were not held there regularly before 1750. Barrington lost half its people in the time of the French war of-1745-'49 by removal, and no doubt Epsom suffered as much. The number of families had not reached fifty in 1761, and did not much exceed that number in 1773.
After considerable search of deeds I have yet to find proof that any other settler was there as early as Charles McCoy. He was "of Epsom" by a deed in October 29, 1735, and Mr. Curtiss thought he had a daughter, Mary, born there as early as 1731. She lived till 1828, and was believed to have been the first white child born in the town.
Mr. Curtiss said that McCoy came from Londonderry, and deeds show that a Charles McCoy, farmer, of Londonderry (the only Charles McCoy of the recorded deeds of that period) bought land November 12, 1728, in Chester, a home lot of twenty acres, with outlying land. He sold this June 30, 1730, a wife, Mary, signing.
He may have been in Epsom a few years before 1735, as settlers were often required to locate and make improvements before receiving title to land. Probably he was a son, or younger brother, of Alexander McCoy, a Scotch Highlander, who settled in the part of Londonderry that became Windham, and who is said to have been six feet, seven inches tall and to have weighed 296 pounds. The pioneers were not apt to be dwarfs. All the McCoys mentioned in the New Hampshire Province Deeds seem to have been of the Windham and Epsom families, excepting, perhaps, a Francis, who bought land in Exeter April 4, 1748. Charles of Epsom deeded to sons Nathaniel and Francis, May 23, 1752, and they deeded this land in 1760. Francis of Epsom had deeded November 1, 1752.
Mr. Curtiss mentioned also a son John, adult or nearly so in 1747 and "younger children." He gave an interesting account of the capture, August 21, 1747, of Charles McCoy's second wife, Isabel, by the Indians. The place is now marked by a memorial stone. The people left the town at this time for the older settlements, and this makes it not improbable that the Francis McCoy who bought land in Exeter in 1748 was the Francis, son of Charles. Exeter then extended to Chester and Raymond.
The McCoys left Epsom in 1760. For more about them see the interesting article in the GRANITE MONTHLY of June 1908, by Byron Moore; also a note in the Boston Transcript April 14, 1909. Charles was probably living in Allenstown as late as 1790, perhaps included in the family of Charles, Jr., who was the Charles of the census, and had wife, Sarah. April 6, 1787, Charles McCoy and wife, Mary, of Allenstown deeded to the town, their farm where they then lived, bounded north on the Suncook River. Nathaniel was of Pembroke in 1761 and owned land on the west bank of the Merrimack. In 1772 Francis bought the land on which the Hooksett railroad station now stands. John was perhaps the John McCoy of Durham who bought land in Nottingham August 27, 1761, and died there before 1789, leaving a son John and several daughters.
The McCoy farm in Epsom was sold April 30, 1760, to Reuben and Eliphalet Sanborn of Hampton, and has remained in the Sanborn family to this time, the present owner being Judge Walter H. Sanborn of St. Paul, Minn.
Andrew McClary was "of Epsom" by a deed April 30, 1741. He is said to have settled there in 1738. He came from the north of Ireland in 1726, reaching Boston August 8 of that year. October 8, 1728. Andrew "McCleary" of Hanover, Plymouth County, Mass., bought land in Nottingham, N. H. He was '''of Nottingham" by a deed October 16, 1735, also "of Nottingham" February 27 and March 7, 1747, but "of Epsom" again June 10, 1747, and onward. He died there between September 13, 1764 and October 15, 1765, leaving a widow, Agnes, and children: John, born in 1719; Andrew, said to have been about ten years younger; Jane, who had married, January 8, 1756, John McGaffey, and a daughter that had married Richard Tripp. By tradition this daughter's name was Ann. The church records have it Nanny. A deed signed by her mark October 15, 1765, has it "Agnas." An older deceased daughter, Margaret, had married George Wallace early enough to have a child baptized in 1740.
The McClarys had the most easterly of the home lots, near Deerfield, John living on the south side of the road and Andrew, Jr., on the north side. The three sisters lived near. All had large families, and the McClary blood became widely diffused, though the name has disappeared. This noted family was so fully treated by Warren Tripp in the GRANITE MONTHLY of October. 1900, that I will pass it without further notice here.
Among the proprietors who under-took to settle, the first twenty families were Samuel Wallace of Rye and William Wallace of Greenland, probably brothers, though I have not seen proof of that. Samuel was son of William, who was son of a George Wallis (generally so spelled) "sometime of Newfoundland," who bought land and buildings at Little Harbor November 6, 1660. This George was not the George that came from London in 1635, as claimed in the history of Rye, for that George settled at Chelsea, Mass. The men who undertook to settle frontier towns were generally interested for sons or sons-in-law; and accordingly we find Samuel Wallace deeding his son George. June 1, 1741, the home lot in Epsom, where he now lives, a fifty-acre lot on the south side of the road "granted me for settling the town"; also the thirty-acre outlying lot; and Lot 68 in the second range. The same day he willed to his son William "my fifty-acre lot in Epsom on the north side of the road," between Joshua Berry's land on the east and parsonage land on the west; also the eastern half of Lot 101 in the third range. This William, then of Rye, bought June 30, 1742, another home lot in Epsom. If he ever lived in Epsom it was but a short time. He died before March 25, 1747, leaving three young boys: Samuel, who in 1771 was a carpenter of New Castle; William, who settled in Northwood; and Spencer, who was of Exeter in 1790. This Samuel is believed to have died in Epsom in 1800, having bequeathed to a son, Joseph Chase Wallace of Epsom, also children, Samuel, Shadrach, Peggie and Comfort. The half of Lot 101 was in 1778 in possession of Jonathan Knowles (son of Simon, son of John of Hampton) and was occupied by his descendants nearly eighty years.
George Wallace lived in town to old age, a deacon and man of prominence. About 1765 his "home lot" was a lot between John McClary's and Deerfield line.He left sons, Ebenezer, who married his cousin, Sarah McGaffey, and settled on Lot 68 in the Mountain District; and George, Jr., who married Rachel, daughter of Philip Babb, and settled a mile or so southeast in Deerfield. Among their children were William, who married Sally True and was ancestor of the Wallaces of Northwood Narrows; John, who married Mary True and had eleven children, among them John and George of Epsom; and Philip, who married Rachel Babb and had children, Alonzo, Caroline, Joseph and Clarinda. Daughters of Dea.George Wallace were Martha, who married Benson Ham; Margaret, who married Eliphalet Sanborn; and Elizabeth, who married Thomas Babb, all of Epsom; and Hannah, who in 1781 was Hannah McGaffey. Another daughter was Jane, who married Capt. James Gray of Epsom and died early, leaving a son, John.
William Wallace of Greenland probably took part in the settlement of the town, but I have not seen record of any of his family being there very early. He was probably there in 1761 and a member of the church, but returned to Greenland and died there in 1772. His son William was in Epsom 1767-'69, but returned to Greenland. Another son, Samuel, had bought [88] forty acres in Epsom before February 27, 1747 [Nov. 17, 1748]. He was "of Greenland" then, "of Barrington" in 1754, when he bought land in Epsom that was later in possession of his sons, Nathaniel and Abraham, both of Epsom. A William Weymouth Wallace, a Revolutionary soldier from Epsom, was a grandson mentioned in the will of William Sr. of Greenland. He removed to Sandwich. A John "Woles" chosen assessor in Epsom in 1750, may have been of this family. A daughter Jane was wife of Mark Moses, who lived in Epsom from 1762 onward. For a more genealogical account of the family, see notes in the Boston Transcript June 10. 1907 and Jan. 28, 1908.
John Blake (then spelled Black) of Greenland, son of John, son of Jasper of Hampton, was another proprietor instrumental in the settlement of Epsom, though he himself was ''of Greenland'' as late as March 2, 1741-'42. He was of Epsom December 2, 1743, and had been moderator of a proprietors meeting held there May 4 of that year. His son, Samuel, according to Mr. Curtiss, came to Epsom as early as 1733, not as a settler, for he was then only fifteen years old and did not marry till 1743. Probably something was done on most of the home lots as early as 1733. John Blake. Jr., the eldest son, born in 1716, was probably there by that time, though he did not marry till May 1740. He then married Jemima Locke of Rye. He was chosen highway surveyor and fence viewer for Epsom in 1743 and was undoubtedly a resident. It cannot be assumed that all the town officers at this time were residents, for the voting power was vested in the non-resident proprietors as well as in the inhabitants, and the meetings were held mostly in Portsmouth or New Castle. This John and Jemima had a son, William, born in Epsom in 1741, who is said to have been the first white boy born there. If this is true, it argues that the place had not been very populous in the preceding decade, and the three sons of Charles McCoy must have been born before he came to town. John. Jr., was "of Epsom" by a deed April 21, 1749, and then received of his father a deed of forty-seven acres near Pittsfield. He was later of Pittsfield. His son, William, lived in Epsom till 1766; was in Nottingham in 1767, and later of Barrington.
John Blake, Sr. and wife Mary, lived in Epsom to old age. His location is given in a deed of October 11. 1759, in which he conveys to his "beloved son" Thomas Blake of Epsom, fifty acres "where my now dwelling house stands," "that first division lot," originally of Thomas Berry and numbered 4. In 1754 he had deeded to his son, Dearborn Blake, then of Epsom, Home Lot No. 5. Dearborn Blake was of Epping in 1764 and deeded this lot to his brother, Thomas, who sold it the same year to a distant relative, Jethro Blake of Epping, who came to Epsom and lived there to old age. Thomas removed to Chichester, another son, Benjamin, of Epsom 1762- '65, went to Wolfeboro.
The Blakes were an excellent family, devoted to the interests of the church and town, ranking next to the McClarys in prominence and esteem. Their name has disappeared from the region, but their blood is even more widely diffused than that of the McClarys. Especially is this true of Sergeant Samuel Blake, son of John, Sr., who is said to have had nineteen children. Thirteen of them lived to marry.
The first of these children were baptized in Rye, perhaps born there. Before the Epsom church was established some went to the eastern towns to have children baptized, and some mothers went to their friends there before the births of their children for better care.
Samuel's first wife, whom he married November 24, 1743, was Sarah, daughter of Jacob and Sarah (Marston) Libby of Rye. His second wife, whom he married about 1760, was Esther [Sarah] Bickford, sister of Thomas and Samuel of Epsom, daughter of Thomas and Esther (Adams) Bickford of Madbury, and granddaughter of Thomas Bickford of Durham, who was son of John of Dover.
Samuel Blake was "of Epsom" February 8, 1742, when he bought Home Lot No. 14, on the south side of the road, also part of a sawmill. He was "of Epsom" April 21, 1749, when his father deeded him Home Lot No. 10, bounded east on Wm. Hains' land, west on Samuel Wallace's, south on Charles McCoy's, north on the road. He is said to have lived at the place where his son Samuel lived as late as 1823, now the home of D. G. Chesley, a descendant. This farm, by a deed of that year, was said to be in Home Lots 9 and 10. He died August 19, 1801; his second wife June 27, 1804.
His will dated August 22, 1797, mentioned thirteen children, all but Mary living. The first three were by the first wife, the rest by the second. They were: Hepzibah, wife of Abraham Wallace of Epsom; Mary, wife of Simeon Chapman of Epsom; Mehetabel, wife of William Moses of Chichester, son of Mark of Epsom; Esther, wife of Josiah Knowles of Epsom, son of Jonathan; Sarah, wife of Jonathan Fellows of Chichester; Abigail, wife of Simeon Locke of Epsom; Rebecca, wife of Thomas Lake of Chichester: Mercy, wife of Joseph Goss; Temperance, wife of Joseph Knowles of Concord, son of Simon of Pembroke; Hannah, wife of Robert Lake of Chichester; Samuel. Jr., residuary legatee; Elizabeth, wife of John Chesley of Epsom, son of Lemuel, son of Lemuel of Durham; and James, who married Jane Sherburne, daughter of William of Epsom, settled in Chichester and had a large family, as did nearly all the others. For more dates, see a note in the Boston Transcript August 8, 1908.
Mr. Curtiss mentioned a William Blazo, a Frenchman, as a pioneer settler in Epsom; also one Whitaker of whom I have found no trace. I do not find mention of Blazo in Epsom till 1756, though he had bought land there ten years earlier, being then "of Greenland." He and wife Catherine were "of Portsmouth" in 1832. Both are mentioned in the church records of Greenland, where they had children baptized from 1728 to 1749. Probably they did not come to Epsom till the close of the war. He was highway surveyor there in 1756. A deed of 1757 called him "cooper." His son, William, Jr., was constable there in 1758, and his son John tythingman in 1759. Early in that year he deeded his land to his sons, John and Amos, including his homestead of fifty acres, "on which my dwelling house now stands." This was the home lot originally granted to Simon Knowles, and was on the south side of the road. The sons soon sold it to Andrew McClary. William Blazo, Sr. is said to have been the first person buried in the old cemetery; and this was referred to as "the burying place" August 14, 1761. John and Amos soon removed to Pittsfield, just above New Orchard, and the latter soon after to Parsonsfield, Maine. A William, Jr., returned to Greenland, where he had the homestead of his father-in-law, William Wallace.
The French war of 1745-'49 was the great interruption in Epsom's history and caused a complete desertion of the town at one time. Of the period before this war the town records are scant. Doubtless there were other pioneers, who failed to gain mention in them or in land or probate records. It is likely that the Locke, Berry and Allen families were represented. The McCoys, McClarys, Wallaces and Blakes were probably the only families of that period that became permanent residents.


With the close of the French War, in 1749, Epsom began a rapid growth in population and prosperity. This was not much checked by the outbreak of hostilities again in 1754, for the war was then carried into the enemy's country, and the Indian depredations did not reach this section. When the peace came in 1760, they were known to be at an end. Not only was Epsom safe, but all northern New England was safe and was thrown open to settlement; and henceforth Epsom was to lose by emigration to the new lands, as well as gain new settlers from the older towns.
The gains, however, exceeded the losses, and the number of people steadily increased for seventy years more, reaching 1,408 in 1830. Up to then Epsom was the most important town, as well as the natural center, of the Suncook Valley.
The twenty home lots began about ninety rods from Nottingham line, and ranged westerly on both sides of the road through the old Center, or East Village, nearly to the present village of Epsom Center. They were numbered from east to west on the north side, and from west to east on the south side; the road was called "East Street."
Home lot No. 20 was originally drawn by James Marden of Rye (1697-1777, son of James). April 12, 1735, the proprietors voted this lot forfeited and transferred to Joseph Simpson, who had "settled a family in the town." (Had he settled the McCoy family? He sold them their land.) I find nothing to indicate that Simpson ever lived there himself. July 1, 1743, he deeded Andrew Mc-Clary home lot No. 20, '' given me for settling a family," situated on the southwest side of the road and "on the norwest side of George Wallis's fifty acre lot." I do not know whether Marden contested the forfeiture or not. There must have been many transactions by the proprietors that were not entered in the record book. April 30, 1741, Samuel Marden was mentioned in a deed as owning on the west side of home lot No. 19. This lot was said, in a deed of February 27. 1747, to be bounded on the east by "William Marden's lot." March 7, 1747, Andrew McClary deeded his son John home lots Nos. 19 and 20, except five acres off the east side of No. 20. Here is material for a reconciling genius.
May 1, 1749, James Marden of Rye deeded his son, Nathan, a fifty-acre lot on the southwest side of East Street, without giving the number of the lot or the adjoining owners. Nathan was chosen constable in Epsom in 1753, being then thirty-two years old. He served as selectman, was town clerk 1755-1770, and was the first deacon of the church. In 1784 he owned the land east of the Mountain road. He probably called attention to the deficiencies in the early records, for in 1761 George Wallace and Ephraim Locke were chosen a committee to assist him in '' getting the former town records that may be in any of the former proprietors' hands." A return of the original survey was subsequently entered in the book.
He married, first, in 1743, Susanna Berry; second, in 1786, Mrs. Hannah Dolbeer, widow of Jonathan and mother of Nicholas, the ancestors of the Epsom Dolbeers. He died between May 27, 1808 and November 2, 1811. He had a son, James (1746-1791), of Chichester, who married, in 1767, Sarah Worth; a daughter, Sarah, who married, in 1766, Ithiel Clifford; a son, Nathan, in Epsom with a large family in 1790; and a Daughter, Judith, who married late if at all [married May 25, 1780 Hunkson Marden of Barrington]. A Joseph Marden was in Epsom in 1790.
The Mardens became numerous and gave their name to the school district west of Gossville.
Ithiel and Sarah Clifford had children baptized in Epsom: Lucy, Sarah, James, Nathan M., and John.
Among the pioneers in Epsom were "several Libbys, a family noted for pioneering; industrious, hardy adventurers, tarrying usually only a few years in a place, then moving on for new worlds to conquer. A faithful account of their generations and migrations may be found in the family genealogy, compiled by Charles Thornton Libby.
In 1742, John and Samuel Libby of Rye bought home lot No. 8, on the north side of East Street, and probably No. 9, next on the west, with a share in a sawmill and 150 acres of out-lying land. Both were in town at an early date, perhaps before the French War, and remained till after 1760; evidently men of prominence, as they held the most important town offices. Samuel went to Machias, Me., where he lived some fifteen years, and then to New Brunswick. John, after several changes, is said to have settled, in 1781, in Porter, Me., where he died in 1804, aged 84. Several of his sons lived there for a time, among them Jonathan, who married Hannah, daughter of John McCoy of Nottingham.
John Libby's father was Isaac, of Rye, born about 1690. He was in Epsom in 1761, with his sons, Isaac, Jr., and Reuben. They took the lead in organizing the Epsom church, on the twenty-third of August that year. Of the first fourteen members, eight were Libbys. Isaac, Sr., was chairman of the committee that built the meetinghouse. He died probably about 1774.
Isaac, Jr., lived a little to the east of the Center village, where he had a grist-mill on the Little Suncook; also a lathe, on which he turned out the old-fashioned wooden dishes that were in use. He lived to be eighty-five years old, and died in Epsom, August 28, 1810. Of his thirteen children, Mary married Abner Evans, who was of Epsom 1762-1765, later of Barre, Vermont; Elizabeth married Aaron Burbank, from Rye, who bought land in the Mountain district in 1762, lived there several years, then went to Stratford, Vt.; Isaac, Jr., also went to Stratford, Vt.; Bennett Libby married Eleanor Haines, was in Epsom in 1790, later, with his family, joined the Canterbury Shakers; Abigail married her cousin, Jethro Libby, and lived in town; Job married Rebecca Pearsons, lived 1785-1790 near the carding-mill, then went to Strafford, Vt.; Susanna married Theophilus Cass (son of John Cass, who came from Epping about 1765 and lived a little west of Epsom Center) ; Nathan had the homestead and lived there till 1814, having married Abigail, daughter of Symonds Fowler of Epsom (son of Philip, of Newmarket) ; Abraham married Mrs. Abigail (Pearsons) McClary, and went ,to Stanstead, Quebec, as did his sister Margaret, who had married William Sherburne, and his brother Joshua, who married Sally, daughter of John Grant.
Reuben Libby left Epsom about 1765; he afterwards lived for many years in Gorham, Me. The only one of his sons that remained in this vicinity was Jethro (1759-1843), who was apprenticed to Aaron Burbank, and had of him the Libby farm in the Mountain district, which is still owned by a descendant, Mrs. Mary (Libby) Dowst. He married, as has been said, his cousin Abigail, and they had ten children. Among those that remained in town were David (1779-1843), who married Martha Dolbeer, daughter of Nicholas, and Levi (1752-1821), who married Abigail Farrington.
Abraham Libby (1688-1767), brother of Isaac, Sr., was an extensive land-owner in Epsom, having bought there as early as 1749; he came to town about 1760, and died there about 1767. He was not succeeded there by any of his sons, but a son-in-law, Jonathan Chapman, came to town about 1762, and was living there in 1780. Another son-in-law, Penuel Chapman, was chosen clerk of a proprietors meeting held in Epsom in 1743. In 1756 he was living in North Hampton, but owned home lot No. 16 in Epsom, which he then sold to John McClary. This lot was originally granted to Paul Chapman, an older brother of Jonathan and Penuel, who had perhaps lived on it; he died in 1754. Another brother of this family (all of whom were sons of Samuel Chapman of Hampton and Greenland), was Joseph, of Exeter, who in 1761 bought of Abraham Libby fifty acres in Epsom. He came to Epsom and in 1767 sold land there to a Simeon Chapman of Newmarket. Simeon came to town and settled, marrying Mary Blake. They had children, born 1770~1788, Phebe, Joseph, James, Sarah, Lydia. Mary, Alice, Rebecca, and David. A John Chapman had children, Samuel, Solomon and John baptized in Epsom in 1765. Simeon, with a family of eleven, was the only Chapman there in the census of 1790.
Of the home lots, No. 3 was drawn by Thomas Berry, and Nos. 8 and 9 by Zachary and Ebenezer Berry of Rye. Thomas and Ebenezer and seven other Berry proprietors drew outlying lots. Probably representatives of this family were in town early, but I have not found mention of any of them before 1750, when Ephraim Berry was chosen tythingman and Joshua Berry highway surveyor. Ephraim was there in 1762 and 1776. April 24, 1773, Joshua Berry of Greenland deeded John Berry of Epsom the western half of home lot No. 6, on the north side of the road, which was bounded westerly on land of Rev. John Tucke. (Other deeds show that Mr. Tucke's land extended westerly to the cemetery and land of Ephraim Locke). Two days later John and wife, Deborah Berry,
deeded this land to Amos Morrill of Epsom, blacksmith. In 1790 there was only one Berry family, that of a Thomas, though the name had become prominent in Pittsfield.
A deed of 1764 stated that home lot A No. 5 was originally of Jude Allen. According to the records, it was drawn by Noah Seavey. Allen may have owned or occupied it. A John Allen was in town in 1751. A Jude Allen was head of a family in 1790.
John McGaffey, of Brentwood in 1754, of Buck Street (Pembroke), in 1757, was of Epsom in 1759, and bought land of his father-in-law, Andrew McClary. In 1765 he bought forty-six acres more to the east of the McClarys, adjoining Nottingham line. He was son of a Neal "McGachy" (also spelled McGaughe and McGaghe), who was of Pemaquid, Me., in 1733, and then bought land in Nottingham. Neal's estate was administered in 1753.
John and Jane (McClary) McGaffey had children, born 1756-1773, Neal, Margaret, Samuel, John, Jane, Andrew, William Workman, Agnes, Mary and James. Neal and William W. married Sarah and Mary, daughters of Philip Babb. Sarah married Ebenezer Wallace. John, Neal and an Andrew McGaffey signed the Association Test in Epsom in 1776. By 1790 the name had disappeared from town and appeared in New Hampshire only in Sandwich, where the census found families of Andrew, Samuel, John, Workman, Henry and Andrew "McGaffee."
Thomas Bickford was "of Epsom" in 1754, owning land where Benjamin Bickford lately lived. He then exchanged this for home lot No. 13, on the south side of the road, adjoining land of Samuel Blake. He lived there until 1764, when he sold the place to Aaron Clough of Nottingham. Samuel Blake, in the meantime, had married Thomas Bickford's sister Sarah, and they, according to the town records, were living on home lot No.13 or 14 in 1768. There is evidence that these were the same lots that were sold by Samuel Blake, Jr., to John Chesley in 1823, though then called Nos. 9 and 10.
About 1760 Thomas Bickford owned the whole of lot No. 95, nearly 200 acres, extending from near the present town house to the Suncook river. He sold fifty acres off the east end to his brother Samuel, in whose family it still remains. Thirty acres out of the northwest corner became a part of the Moses farm on the north. The rest was sold to Joseph Worth, who came to Epsom from Hawke (now Danville) about 1770.
The lot on the south, No. 94, about 200 acres, was bought in 1761 by Jeremiah Prescott of Epping, who sold the eastern half to John Cass. Both settled on this land about 1765. Prescott lived near the bridge over the Little Suncook, which was called the Prescott bridge.
In 1766 Thomas Bickford and wife Mary, and Samuel Bickford and wife Mercy, all of Epsom, signed out on the estate of their father, Thomas Bickford of Madbury. He was son of Thomas Bickford of Durham and grandson of John and Temperance
Bickford of Dover. I have nothing later about this Thomas of Epsom. He may have been the Thomas Bickford of Pittsfield by the census of 1790.
In 1765 Samuel had a house in or near Epsom Center. He soon removed to the farm he had bought of his brother. He was living April 23, 1773, but probably died soon after. He left seven children, of whom five were Benjamin, Samuel, Thomas, [Mary] John and Joseph. His widow, Mercy, lived until 1824.
Of the sons, Benjamin married before 1779 Hannah, daughter of Francis Locke, and had sons, Samuel and Thomas, both of whom lived to past eighty years of age.
Samuel married Abigail (Page?) [Cook] and had children, born1780-1798, Rebecca, Mehetabel, Margaret, Abigail, Benjamin, Joseph, Samuel Jr., and Mercy.
Thomas married Olive Haines. He died in 1819, leaving sons John, Samuel, Nathan and Daniel.
Among the drawers of home lots, June 12, 1732, were Joseph and William Locke. Very likely members of this family were among the earliest improvers of Epsom lands. I do not find the name among residents earlier than 1752, when Ephraim Locke was chosen a viewer of the selectmen.
He was from Rye, son of Francis3, Edward2, John1, November 27. 1747, when only seventeen years old, he bought home lot No. 7, on the north side of East Street. His marriage did not occur until May 14. 1752; the lady was Comfort Dowst, daughter of Ozem, son of Samuel of Newcastle. Probably he had spent much of the preceding four years in Epsom clearing land and preparing his home. He lived in town for the remainder of his life and was prominent in town and church affairs. At the time of his death, which occurred in March or May 1798, he had the home lot west of the cemetery, over a part of which the cemetery has since been extended.
Among his children were Prudence, born in 1753, who married. March 14, 1773, Isaac Knowles of Epsom; Francis, born about 1755, who succeeded his father on the homestead; perhaps an Ephraim that died before his father; Captain Samuel, born about 1761, lived in Epsom, died March 28. 1816; Asa, baptized October 23, 1763, who went to Vermont; Comfort, baptized July 27, 1766; Hannah, baptized September 18, 1768, who married Aaron Lamprey; Elizabeth, baptized June 23, 1771, who probably married Samuel Hutchens.
Francis married Mary. He died in Epsom in 1835 and his wife, Mary, in October, 1818, "in her fifty-eighth year." Their home in 1803 was where the crossroad joins the main road west of the cemetery. In that year he made an agreement with John Chesley, Daniel Philbrick, Jr., John Drowne and Philip Stevens, to utilize the mill privilege on this cross road. A sawmill and gristmill were built, and in 1811 Bennett Lawrence of Epping bought a right there for a carding and fulling mill.
Among the children of Francis and Mary were: Deacon Ephraim, born July 1787, died April 14. 1855, who lived north of the mills, on the turnpike; Francis, born about 1791, died December 31, 1869, who lived in old age near the town house; and Margaret, who married Jonathan Knowles, son of Josiah, and died in 1817.
Another Francis, brother of the first Ephraim, moved into town late in life. He probably lived a little to the southeast of Epsom Center, as that seems to have been the location of his son and successor, Abraham, who had his real estate. His will, dated March 21, 1781, proved February 21, 1787, mentioned no son but Abraham, but daughters Sarah Seavey, Elizabeth Cass (wife of Simon), and Hannah Bickford (wife of Benjamin). Abraham died before January 7, 1806, leaving children: Sally Davis, Lydia Davis, Betsey Thurston, Reuben, Nancy, Moses and Abraham Locke.
Timothy Blake Locke (Edward3, Edward3, John1) was mentioned in the town records in 1769, but not afterwards. He was perhaps succeeded by his brother, Moses Locke, who settled there about 1770, east of the parsonage, and was there in 1790. His children, born 1757-1776, were Mehetabel, Anna, Jonathan, Hannah, Mary, Elijah, Richard, Moses and James. His son, Jonathan Locke, lived in Epsom and had children born 1786 and onward, Naomi, Florinda, John, David, Rebecca and Mary.
William Locke (Elijah3, William2, John1), a blacksmith, came to town about 1780, being then twenty-two years old. In 1797 he had the land east of the lane leading to the home of the late Thomas Cilley. He had children born in 1780-1791, John, Abigail, Huldah, William, Elizabeth and Reuben, most of whom settled in Epsom, though their father removed to Alexandria.
Simion Locke (David4, Jonathan3, William2, John1) came to Epsom about the close of the Revolution. His brothers, David and Levi, afterwards lived on Locke's Hill. Another brother, Reuben, married Phebe Chapman of Epsom and went to Corinth. Vt. A brother, William, married, October 23, 1800, Esther Knowles of Epsom, and settled in Lyman. They were the parents of Albion Locke.
Of these brothers, Simion had children, born 1784-1802, Anna, Samuel B., David, Simion Jr., John, Josiah K., James, Sally and Reuben. Children of David, born 1790-1801, were Deacon David, Abigail and Nancy. Children of Levi, born 1797-1816, were Simon P., Benjamin L., Lucy M., Thomas D., Betsey, Almira and Rev. Joseph.

Other articles of this series appeared in June and September 1909. Two corrections are needed in them. Samuel Blake's second wife was Sarah Bickford, not Esther. Samuel oBickford remained on his village lot and died there before May 14, 1773.

The twenty home lots were laid out as follows:
Beginning ninety rods from Deerfield line on the north side of East Street, first came the Solomon Dowst lot, originally laid out at the west end, and numbered 10, but re-located here, and in later years called No. 1. It was sold by William Blake to Andrew McClary in 1767. West of this came two McClary lots, the original Nos. 1 and 2. West of them were John Blake's two lots, called by 1760 Nos. 4 and 5. Next west was the lot of Joshua and Ephraim Berry; next a lot bought in 1768 by Rev. John Tucke; next, the first minster's lot, settled on Mr. Tucke in 1761; next Ephraim Locke's lot, No. 7, bought in 1747; then Samuel Libby's lot, No. 8, and John Libby's, No. 9. Beyond these was a tract of about 145 acres of public land, reaching to the third range.
The south side home lots also began ninety rods from Deerfield line. The first was that of Deacon George Wallace, re-located from the west end, originally numbered 11. Next on the west were the two John McClary lots Nos. 20 and 19, on the second of which the old McClary house still stands. Next was Deacon Marden's lot, reaching to the Mountain Road. Next was a lot owned in 1784 by John McClary. Next, the Chapman lot, sold in 1756 to Andrew McClary. Next, lot No. 15, where William Blazo lived in 1759, later the home of Moses and Jonathan Locke. Next, the parsonage lot; then Samuel Blake's two lots; then Thomas Bickford's lot. Next was the first minister's out-lot, which was bought in 1773 by Francis Locke. Beyond this was a larger lot, for church and school purposes, extending to the third range.
The garrison house stood on lot No. 2. The first settlers kept near it till the French wars were over. Then, with security from the Indians, the outlying lots began to be occupied. Sanborn's Hill attracted some, as it had McCoy, who did not fear the Indians.
Reuben Sanborn and his son Eliphalet bought the McCoy farm in 1760. Another son, Reuben, Jr., settled in Chichester. He was the father of Deacon Ira Sanborn (1768-1845) of Epsom. Eliphalet married Margaret, daughter of Deacon George Wallace. They lived on the place till old age, and left many children, among them Josiah (1763-1842), who succeeded them. He married Anna, daughter of Moses Locke. Their eldest son, and successor on the place, was Deacon Frederic Sanborn (1789-1881). He lived there till his death, with his son Henry, who soon after removed to Princeton, Mass., transferring the place to his son, Judge Walter H. Sanborn, who keeps it as a summer residence.
This family has furnished many of the most substantial citizens of this and other places. Their very interesting genealogy, by V. C. Sanborn, is so easily accessible that I need not give them more space here.
The next two lots south of the Sanborn lot were owned in 1761 by Abraham Libby. The first of them, about sixty acres, he then sold to Joseph Chapman of Exeter, who occupied it, and a few years later sold it to Simeon Chapman of Newmarket, who settled there. The next lot, about one hundred and twenty acres, was sold about the same time, the north half to Anthony Chapman, a. minor, who soon died, leaving it to his father, Jonathan Chapman; the south half to Richard Tripp, who is said to have come from Portsmouth, but was then of Allenstown. Both settled there.
In 1781 Richard Tripp removed to Short Falls, where he built a sawmill a little above the present gristmill. His wife was a daughter of Andrew McClary. They had a large family of children, of whom John (1770-1844) and Richard (1772-1857) lived in Epsom. John married, November 1, 1798, Sally Gordon. They had children (1800-1816): Jeremiah, Susan, Nancy, John, Andrew, James, Richard and Sally. Jeremiah was born October 8, 1800, and died in 1884. He married Chloe Prescott, who died some ten years earlier. They were the parents of Warren Tripp, the present owner of the homestead, an account of whom may be found in the GRANITE MONTHLY for December 1896.
James Tripp, son of John, was born April 24. 1814, and died January 5. 1898. He married, February 2, 1843, Isabella, daughter of John and Hannah (Dickey) Prescott. She was born July 23, 1816, and died September 24, 1902. They were the parents of James H. Tripp, father of Walter H. of Epsom.
On the Jonathan Chapman farm lived for several years Capt. James Gray, an officer in the Revolution. In 1888 he removed to the John Cass place, now Hiram Holmes, where he passed the remainder of his life. He was first employed as schoolmaster, about 1769 coming from Byfield, Mass., where he had been writing master in Dummer Academy. In 1771 he was chosen town clerk. The records for that year are a delight to
the eye. He married, first, Jane Wallace, who died in 1772, leaving two sons, one of whom died in infancy, the other in early manhood, unmarried. He married, second, Susanna, daughter of Rev. Moses Parsons, for many years pastor at Byfield. They had children: Moses P., Theodore, Katherine, Lucretia B., James, Judith P., Susan and Mary. Moses (1779-1858) lived on the homestead; was for many years town clerk and justice of the peace. Theodore and James died at sea, unmarried. Lucretia (1785-1875), married William Brown (1797-1887), of Epsom, son of John and Sarah (Allen) Brown; children living are Mrs. Mary L. Cass of Epsom and Mr. Jeffrey Brown and Mrs. Susan Forbes of Byfield. Judith (1789-1855) married John Rand (1792-1861) of Epsom. Susan and Mary died when about twenty, unmarried. From Byfield came also members of a Pearsons family; among them, Jonathan, clothier, who was of Epsom in 1782, had a large family in 1790, died in 1821. He bought the east side of Isaac Libby's lot and had a fulling mill near Libby's gristmill. Caleb Pearsons was in town in 1786 and then married Mary Locke. She died in 1820, aged 55. Women of the name were Alice, who married Jonathan Locke; Rebecca, who married Job Libby; Abigail, who married John McClary, Jr.; and Anna, who married Jacob Sanborn of Chichester.
The earliest roads were in existence long before they were regularly laid out. The first was East Street, extended into a West Street, which went northwest from the Center and crossed the river by the "Great Bridge," near the Rand place; then went on through Chichester and Loudon to Canterbury, the whole route being called the Canterbury Road. Next was by tradition, a road over Sanborn's Hill to Short Falls, doubtless connecting with the settlement at Suncook. Deeds of the McCoys in 1752 and 1760 mention a "Suncook Road" passing or crossing the northwest corner of their land. A deed of 1768 (Exeter Deeds, 123-364), mentions a "road to Pembroke" not now in existence, along the north side of the Sanborn lot.
The present Hill Road was laid out November 28, 1768, from the main road near Isaac Libby's to the land of Richard Tripp. It was extended, December 3, 1772, partly on the "old way," partly on a route newly spotted, passing "the northwest corner of Joel Ame's field" to a tree on the line between the lands of John Haynes and Levi Cass.
A John Haynes was in town in 1776: had a large family in 1790. In 1819 there was recorded the death of "the widow of the late John Haynes."
Levi Cass lived at New Rye, where he died in 1825. He married Mary Sherburne (1746-1834), sister of the wives of Jeremiah Prescott and James Moses. They had children: Elizabeth, who married William Sanborn; Rachel (1779-1861), who married Jonathan Dolbeer; Levi (1782-1850) who married Mehetabel Osgood (1784-1873), of Raymond, and settled on the Ebenezer Wallace farm, where his son Henry now lives; and Samuel (1786-1863) who married Mary, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Blake) Chesley, and lived on the homestead, which is still owned by their descendants.
John Cass was father of Simon and Theophilus. All three were of Epsom in 1796. Simon married Elizabeth Locke and had children (1776-1794): Francis, Theophilus, Jr., Abraham, Jonathan, Simon, Levi, Thomas, John, Jr., Nathan and Nancy. Of these, Francis and Simon married Mehetabel and Rhoda, daughters of Abraham Wallace, and Theophilus. Jr., married Jane, daughter of Eliphalet Sanborn. About 1800 several of this family joined in the settlement of Cassville, in Stanstead, Quebec.
The next lot south of Levi Cass's was bought in 1750 by Jonathan Dolbeer (1720-1761) of Rye, son of Nicholas and Sarah (Smith) Dolbeer. He married, December 25, 1744, Hannah Marden, probably a cousin to Deacon Nathan, whom she married, second, late in life. Their son Nicholas (1748-1796), a Revolutionary soldier, married, May 27, 1773, Mary Randall (1751-1802). They settled on his father's lot in Epsom, coming in February 1792.
Their children were: Jonathan (1774-1857), who married Rachel Cass; John (1778-1819) who married Sally Sherburne (1776-1824), daughter of Joseph; Martha (1781-1854), who married David Libby (1779-1843); Stephen (1783-1845), who married Jane Libby; Mary (1786-1865), who married Levi Haynes; William (1788-1873), who married Hannah Kimball; and Nicholas (1792-1877), who married Esther Chase. All of these but Stephen and William lived in Epsom.
Jonathan left no children. He was for many years clerk of the Congregational Church, and kept a record of deaths in town from 1817 to 1857. This was continued by his nephew, Calvin, down to 1875.
John Dolbeer settled at New Rye, where his son Joseph S. (1804-1877) succeeded him, and where Joseph's son, John H. Dolbeer, Esq., still lives.
Nicholas Dolbeer had the homestead, where his son Calvin lived with him and after him, and died there in 1894. Another son, John, made a fortune in California. He contributed largely to the Epsom library.
Expansion of the home settlement eastward took place at an early date, going first into Deerfield, as the public land east of the home lots was not sold till June 1765. The northwest part of Deerfield became practically a part of Epsom.
In December 1758, Benson Ham, "of Ipsom, alias Portsmouth;" bought fifty acres just across the line, towards Suncook Pond. In 1765 he bought an adjoining tract of the Epsom public land, which included a house lot on the south side of the road, near the brook. This made a farm that remained in the family a long time. He died in the summer of 1802, aged 71. His wife, Martha (daughter of Deacon Wallace), died in 1833, aged 91.
Their children, born 1760-1784 were: Agnes, Captain John, George Wallace, William, Margaret, Anna. Jane, Martha and Elizabeth.
Agnes married a Stevens. Captain John married, in 1787 Lucy, daughter of Isaac Libby. Their first child, Elizabeth W. (1787-1867) married William Yeaton (1783-1830). A daughter, Lucy (1798-1888), married Perkins Philbrick (1794-1854), and had a son, Darius (1823-1903). Captain John married, second, in 1801, Olive (1764-1840), daughter of Samuel Towle. They had a son Capt. George B. Ham (1807-1852), who married Olive (1812-1892), and had sons, George W. and Shepherd.
George W. Ham (1765-1797), son of Benson, married Margaret Dickey and left two children, William and Margaret. This William (1791-1872) was a justice of the peace and man of prominence. He married Nancy Hopkinson. Children of theirs were: George W. (1826-1849) and Eliza, who married B. M. Towle.
Of the other children of Benson Ham, William and Anna died young; Margaret married a Marston; Jane died unmarried in 1818; Martha became the second wife of Joseph Lawrence (1772-1857), of Epsom, and mother of Joseph. Jr.; Elizabeth lived unmarried to the age of ninety-four years, dying September 15, 1878.
South of the Ham farm was the large farm of John and Jane McGaffey, partly in Epsom and partly in Deerfield. Of this family, in addition to what has been said, it may be stated that Samuel McGaffey of Sandwich married Lydia Sanborn of Epsom in 1784; John McGaffey of Lyndon, Vt., married Margaret Sanborn of Epsom in 1800, and Neal and William W. McGaffey married, before 1796, Sarah and Mary, daughters of Philip Babb. An Andrew McGaffey, not son of John, bought land west of the river in 1765, and held office in 1770. He probably married Hannah Wallace.
John and Jane McGaffey sold their farm in 1777 to Samuel Osgood, gentleman, of Salisbury, Mass., who came there to live. Children of his, born in Epsom (1779-1786), were Isaac, Lydia, Hannah and Sarah. There was a Samuel Jr., who died in early manhood. Eleanor, wife of Samuel Sr., died in August 1793, in her fifty-first year. He married, second, the widow of the second Andrew McClary. She died in 1808; he in 1819. Of the daughters, Lydia (1781-1866), married Hanover Dickey (1773-1845), and Hannah married Robert Dickey, both of Epsom.
A Moses Osgood was of Epsom in 1773, and bought the lot west of the Ham farm. This lot had been sold in 1767 to a Stephen Swett, Physician, who had a wife Sarah, in 1768. He then sold all of it except a house lot on the south side of the road, about halfway up the hill. In 1789 Moses Osgood bought the next lot to the west, on the north side. This made a large farm, extending to the Northwood Road, at the top of the hill.
He married, in 1773, Mary, daughter of Reuben Brown of Salisbury, Mass., and sister of Reuben of Northwood. They had children (1774-1788): Lydia, who married Elijah Locke; Deborah, who married Samuel Seavey; Isaac; Elizabeth, who married Hugh Morrison; Mary; David, who died young. He married, second, Rachel Sanborn, and they had David and Margaret. He died in 1823.
The farm on the opposite corner, Deacon Wallace's, was bequeathed to his son-in-law, Capt. Thomas Babb. He was of Epsom in 1778, and died there in the winter of 1808-'09. In 1805 his house was near the end of the Northwood Road.
The children of Thomas and Elizabeth, born 1777-1783, were: Margaret, who married James Prescott of Hampton Falls; Sarah, who married a Langmaid; Elizabeth; Jane, who married Samuel Wallace; and Rachel.
Captain Thomas married, second, Sarah Blake: and they had (1789-1801) Priscilla R.. Hannah, James, Thomas and Amelia.
Captain Thomas was son of a Philip Babb, probably from Portsmouth, who, with a son Philip, was in Epsom in 1795, about a mile south of the Deacon Wallace place. He had other sons, Aaron and John, who settled in Epsom: also daughters, Rachel, deceased before 1796 who had married George Wallace, Jr.; Sarah and Mary, who had married McGaffeys, as has been stated: and Hannah, who probably married Simon Grant.
John Babb was of Epsom in 1789, and then bought thirty-six acres on the North Road. Aaron was of Portsmouth in 1782, and then bought fifty-seven acres in lot No. 13. No Babbs but Thomas were in Epsom in 1790. In 1792 Thomas and Aaron of Epsom, husbandmen, bought lots Nos. 15 and 18, 223 acres, extending across the valley between Fort and Nottingham mountains.
This valley is still a picturesque and interesting place. It is reached by a private road, about a mile long, branching from the Mountain Road. Onlv one house now remains on it though as many as ten can be remembered. Besides the Babbs, there was a Tarleton family, and families of Grants, descendants of John Grant, who died there in old age in 1822. Cultivation was mostly on the eastern slope. The western slope is steep, running up to the top of Fort Mountain, a mountain too little known. The view from its rocky summit, in the opinion of the writer, is the finest in southeastern New Hampshire.
In this valley lived Aaron Babb (1759-1813), and his wife, Hannah (1767-1848), and reared a family of children, among whom were Mary, who married a Chambers; Hannah, who married a White; Rachel, who married her cousin, Philip Babb Wallace; Statira (1798-1852); Samuel (1800-1845); and Joseph (1803-1827).
John Babb (1767-1831) had a wife, Anna (1777-1841) and a son John (1802-1868), who had a wife, Salome (1805-1870). A Betsy Babb died in 1878, aged 74 [also sons James and Philip]
From Deacon Wallace's corner, the Griffin Road, which must be one of the oldest, leads southerly into a section of Deerfield that has always been closely connected with Epsom. The last farm in Epsom was Ithiel Clifford's, bought in 1765, being the next south of the McGaffey's. On the other side of the line the McClarys had early bought extensive
tracts, which they sold to their Epsom friends. Deacon Wallace had one of them, and settled his son George. Jr. on it, and his sons lived there.
Jeremiah Eastman, from Kensington, a member of the Epsom Church in 1767, lived near the west shore of Pleasant Pond. He died in 1802, leaving sons, Jeremiah, Jacob, Ephraim, Benjamin and Enoch. Deacon John, of the third generation, lived just east of the line on the Griffin Road, with his son, Lowell, afterwards of Epsom.
This road seems to have been named for Griffin families, who settled there very early. Eliphalet Griffin, from Kingston, bought land about a mile from the Epsom line in 1749. He had a son Nathan, who married Phebe, daughter of John Cass. Their son, David (1772-1840), bought the Deacon Wallace place about a hundred years ago. He built the present house in 1824. The farm remained in his family till about 1900.
He married Abigail (1768-1824), daughter of Deacon John Cate, and they had children: Nathan (1797-1869), who had the homestead, married Mary Cate (1801-1885), and had children, David, Phebe, Nathan, Samuel, Mary, Abbie, Charles and John S.; Abigail (1798-1869), who did not marry; Ebenezer (1803-1855), who married Sarah Brown of Northwood, and left a son, James, of Pittsfield; and John, who married Fanny Wiggin, lived in Epsom, and left a son, Manson.


It is curious how uniformly the first roads took hilly routes. Epsom began with its Canterbury road, going over the hill north of Gossville, and its ''road to Pembroke," over Sanborn's hill. Both were soon superseded by easy roads through the valleys.
November 28, 1768, there was laid out a road from a point a little west of the town house, on or near the present route of the Turnpike to Prescott bridge, thence over the Yeaton road as far as the branch road to F. W. Yeaton's. Land damages were paid to Thomas Hinds, John Cass, Jeremiah Prescott and Benjamin Shepard. In 1772 this road was referred to as "the road that leads from John Cass's to Shepard's mill." Ten years later it was extended to Allenstown, the extension beginning "8 or 10 rods south of Nathaniel Wallace's house."
In 1722 a road was laid out from a point eight rods north of Prescott bridge northwesterly through Gossville, up the Rand road, 324 rods in all, to a point ten rods east of the Great Bridge. It went from Prescott's land into land improved by Benjamin Goodwin. The Turnpike was not built till about 1800.
As early as April 23, 1761, Ebenezer Barton was chosen surveyor of "the road leading to "new orchet, so called.'' In 1774 this road was laid out '' as it goes.'' from near Shurking mill to Chichester (now Pittsfield) near Ebenezer Barton's. The same year the North road was laid out from Deerfield to Chichester near Abraham Green's. This was joined in 1780 by a road from East Street, starting just east of Mr. Tucke 's land. The Northwood road, from Thomas Babb 's, by way of Pettingill bridge and Prescott hill, was laid out in 1782. The Mountain and Locke roads followed two years later. The former went "as it goes" to land of Samuel Moses, then on by the range-way to Allenstown line; the latter over Locke's hill, passing southwest of Mr. Odiorne's house, to Pittsfield line, near George Sanborn's [Sanders].
Shurking mill stood where the Knowles gristmill now stands, it may have been the first sawmill, standing as it did, on public land, on the main road. In 1773 Ephraim Locke sold his brother, Francis, seven eighths of it, together with all the eastern half of the village on the north side of the road. Samuel Bickford owned westward from him.
In 1785 the mill was called Locke's mill. Samuel Locke then bought eight acres west of it, between the road and the river.
The earliest mention I have found of a mill was February 8, 1742. William Haines of Greenland then deeded Samuel Blake "the eleventh part of a sawmill now being in Epsom." There was then a sawmill on the Little Suncook (Deeds 27-326). In 1760 Andrew McClary, "milright," deeded his son, John and Andrew, his sawmill and gristmill near the outlet of Suncook Pond, on land he had bought in 1756. In 1768 Benjamin Shepard deeded Joseph Cilley of Nottingham 80 acres in Epsom, land "I did formerly live on," also "one half of all the privilege I bought of George Youring in the stream on which Jona. Hill and others formerly built a sawmill, with the privilege of one half the mill now built." In 1778 John Cass sold Ephraim Locke "one twelfth of a sawmill commonly known by the name of Civility's mill."
Besides these and other mills previously mentioned, Ephraim Locke had a mill on Bear Meadow Brook in 1777, near the North road, and the Cates had a sawmill of early date in New Orchard. The great water power of the Suncook was not improved till later.
Of the families to be mentioned in this article; the Bracketts, Cates, Marstons. Moseses, Osgoods, Pettingills, Philbricks, Prescotts, Sherburnes and Towles; have genealogies in the libraries; so I need not take up space with their relationships.
The first settlers on the Yeaton road were probably Wallaces of the Greenland family. The principal stream there took the name of Wallace Brook. Samuel Wallace bought Lot 93 in 1748. This was next south of Lot 94, on which Jeremiah Prescott had settled in 1765, near the bridge. Samuel's son, Abraham, probably lived there. He certainly owned the eastern half of the lot after 1789.
Lot 92 was owned, 1749-1767, by Abraham Libby. In 1769 it was owned and probably occupied, by Josiah Sanborn. Jethro Blake bought it in 1770, and probably lived there.
Lot 91 was occupied, 1773-1801, by George Urin (Joseph 3, John 2, William 1), from Greenland. He had wife, Many, and children: Reuben, Solomon, Joseph, John, Mercy, Nancy and Martha. Mercy married in 1800 Nathan Fogg of New Hampton.
Lot 90 was originallv of Thomas Rand Jr. of Rye. If I understand, this was the lot that Benjamin Shepard, with wife, Jane, from Nottingham, occupied for a few years, about 1767-'69, and then returned to Nottingham. (Compare Deeds 97-108 and 110, 113-533, and 122-284.) About the same time, Obadiah Marston, from Deerfield, had an adjoining lot. He also owned land in New Orchard, about half a mile from Pittsfield line. His sons, Samuel and Eliphalet, were then in town.
Lot 89 includes the present Yeaton and Ordway farms. In 1754 Samuel Wallace bought Lot 88 with a strip off the south side of Lot 89. In 1796 his son Nathaniel, with wife Deborah, deeded this land, the part west of the road to John Dolloff, that east, to Joseph Towle. The same year Joseph Wallace deeded Thomas Bickford, both of Epsom, 25 acres off the east end of Lot 87. William Weymouth Wallace owned the northeast corner [most] of Lot 89 before he went to Sandwich.
After the Revolution this road, north of Short Falls, came to be occupied mostly by Towles and Yeatons.
Jonathan Towle Jr., of Rye (1729-1800+ ) owned land in Epsom before 1770, and lived there in old age. His brother Samuel (1735-1821) lived at New Rye, next south of J. H. Dolbeer's place. Jonathan's son Simeon (175-1823), settled near where his descendant, B. M. Towle now lives, and was succeeded there by his sons, Benjamin M. (1794-1857), Simeon (1800-1872). Other sons of Jonathan were Joseph (176-1828,) who had the Daniel Yeaton place, and Benjamin (1769-1851), who was father of Lemuel (1812-1866). A daughter, Hannah (1726-1843), married William Yeaton (1756-1831), of Rye. They removed to Epsom about 1785, and settled on the Ordway place.
This William Yeaton was son of Joseph of Rye, who was very probably grandson of a Richard of Gosport, Isles of Shoals. He was there before 1700, and died there about 1732, leaving sons; Richard, Jr,. and Samuel of Gosport, Philip of Somersworth, and John of Newcastle. John had a son, Joseph, living in 1756.
William Yeaton bought land extensively to the south, and relocated his home on the lot where the graveyard is, east of the pond. He left nine children, all of whom settled in town, and all but two within half a mile of home.
They were: John (1781-1861), who settled next north of his father: William (1783-1830), of the Warren Yeaton place: Joseph (1786-1833), of the James Brown place: Jonathan (1788-1828), who lived a little up the New Rye road: Samuel T. (1791-1864), who lived where his grandson, Samuel R., now lives; Sally (1793-1864), who married Jonathan Goss, son of Samuel, and was mother of William of Gossville; Hannah (1796-1874) who married Simeon Towle: Hopley (1801-1856) who had the homestead: and Levi T. (1804-1846), who had the lot next south of Samuel's.
A younger brother of the first William was Philip Yeaton, who came to town about 1798. He married Huldah Sanders. His children, born from 1798 onward, were Annie, Hannah, John S., Alexander, Mary, Sarah, Huldah and George. An older brother, Joseph, settled in Pittsfield, just above New Orchard. He died about 1806, leaving children: Samuel, Joseph, William, Sally, Elizabeth, Lydia, Hannah, Abigail and Polly.
Another William Yeaton (1779-1816), known as William Jr., married Sally Pettingill (1774-1850), daughter of Ephraim, and lived in the eastern part of the town, near Pettingill bridge. He left a son, John, born about 1800, and daughters, Hannah, Sarah, Lucretia and Susannah. John had sons, William, Benjamin and others.
Joseph Worth bought land in Gossville in 1769. His son John, with wife, Sarah, were of Chichester in 1765. They, with Joseph and wife Anna, and a John, Jr., and wife Mary (Danforth), all united with the Epsom church, 1767-1773. None of them signed the Association Test in Epsom. They may have all lived in Chichester. The Gossville land seems to have been occupied by Benjamin Goodwin, probably a son-in-law. He and wife, Lydia, had children, 1770-1790, Gilman, Joseph Worth, Nathan, Jacob, Anna, Benjamin, Lydia Worth, Rhoda Colby, and Timothy.
The census of 1790 found no Worth families in Epsom or vicinity. A Joseph Worth of Epsom married Hannah Tripp in 1799. They had children: Joseph, Sally, who married Jeremiah Burnham, Richard T., (1804-1891), John, James and Samuel.
Samuel Moses, from Greenland, was of Epsom in 1760, first at Gossville. In 1769 he sold there and bought Lot 67 at the Mountain. He lived there till 1800, when he sold to his brother, James, and went to Meredith, where several of his sons had preceded him. The place has since been owned by descendants of James, the present owner being Mrs. James Tripp.
Samuel's father, Mark Moses (1702-1789), was in Epsom by 1762, a little above Gossville. His sons, Sylvanus (1754-1832) and James (1758-1819), succeeded him and added to the estate till it included some two hundred acres, reaching from the river to the New Orchard road. Sylvanus lived near the river: James, at A. D. Sherburne's place.
The Rand road was named for families of that name that settled there. In 1774 Samuel Rand, Jr., bought of William Rand, mariner, both of Rye, Lot 116, 100 acres, near the Pine Ground. This Samuel was probably the Samuel born in 1753, son of Samuel and Sarah (Dowst) Rand, and grandson of Samuel3; Thomas2, Francis1. The next year Richard Rand of Rye bought of Jonathan Sargent of Epsom 35 acres next on the south, east of the river. George Sargent owned west of the river.
Samuel and William Rand signed the Association Test in Epsom. They, with Richard, were there in 1790, all with large families. William died in 1833, sixty years after his marriage to a wife, Sarah. Richard died in 1844, aged 92. A Mr. Rand died in 1817.
William in 1829 bequeathed to a son William (born in 1774), daughters, Molly Wood Rand, Sarah McConnell and Betsey Wood Rand, children of a deceased daughter Rebecca, who had married Sherburne Pre-cott, a son Tobias Truudy Rand, a son Thomas (1787-1865), who had married Sally Batchelder, and his children: Mary. Jacob, Newell and Elizabeth.
The wife of a Richard Rand died in 1820. Anna (Lake), widow of a Richard Rand, died in 1852, aged 81. She had just bequeathed to daughters, Sarah Leavitt, May Bickford, Sophia Haines, and Salome Babb; to "my three sons,'' Stephen, Thomas (1808-1891) and James M. Rand; and granddaughters, Amanda and Deborah Hall.
New Orchard was first settled at its upper end, where Ebenezer Barton planted the orchard which the name commemorates. He was constable in 1754, and selectman in 1758. He owned land on both sides of Pittsfield line. He died in the winter of 1781-'82, having bequeathed to wife Margaret: to daughters. Sarah Marston and Hannah Barton; to son William his "old field" in Epsom, bought of William Odiorne; to son Josiah the homestead, the buildings of which stood in Pittsfield.
Joseph Sherburne (1745-1807), from Portsmouth Plains, came to Epsom before 1776, soon followed by his brother William (1746-1808). They were sons of Nathaniel4, John3, John2, John1. They located in New Orchard, a little south of Barton. Both reared large families of excellent people. An account of them was printed in the Boston Transcript, January 8, 1906, and October 9,1907. Joseph was succeeded by his son James (1789-1857), and William, by his son David (1780-1856). A nephew, Nathaniel (1773-1818), settled a mile farther south, on the lot next north of the Moses farm. His widow (Molly Sanders, born 1771) survived him nearly fifty years, noted for her energy, wit, and skill in weaving figured fabrics.
Lot 100, next north of Nathaniel Sherburne's, was settled about 1776 by Dea. John Cate (1732-1812), son of William and Elizabeth (Sherburne) Cate of Greenland. He and his descendants were most substantial citizens, and pillars of the Congregational Church. The farm was divided between his sons, John (1773-1829) and Dea. Samuel (1783-1862).
Josiah Knowles (1754-1840, Jonathan3, Simon2, John1), settled next north of Deacon Cate, at about the same time. He was succeeded by his only son, Jonathan (1788-1843), who farmed on a large scale. He built the colonial house that is still standing. A Simon Knowles was in Epsom 1776-78, perhaps brother of Josiah. He was probably the same that married Deborah Langmaid and settled in Pembroke.
The Lockes, on Locke 's Hill, were late comers, David arriving about 1793, Levi about 1800. William Odiorne (Jotham-, John1) was in town in 1776, and in 1784 had a house at or near the Ames place; but lived mostly in Durham.
George Sanders (John2, Christopher1), from Rye, lived next Pittsfield line in 1784. He was born September 11, 1748. His wife, Anna, born December 24, 1745, was probably daughter of Stephen and Ann (Perkins) Page. Their children born 1771-1783 were: Molly, Huldah, Elizabeth, John and Hannah. John married Anna Locke. They had children; George, Simeon, Abigail, John, Nancy, Reuben. Joseph, David and Solomon. George had a son George, born in 1833, died in Enfield. Robert Sanders (1743-1829), a brother of the first George, lived in Epsom and had many descendants. See History of Rye.
Joseph Towle (1747-1820. Amos3, Joseph2, Philip1), came from North Hampton in 1774, and settled east of Odiorne's Pond. In 1793 he removed to Porter, Maine. He and wife Elizabeth (Coffin), were original members of the first Free Baptist Church of Pittsfield. Their children, born 1770-1794, were Amos, Joseph, William, Ezra, Nancy, Daniel, Elizabeth, Sara,. David and Simon.
An adjoining owner to the east, next Pittsfield line, was Jeremiah Page (1739-1807. Jeremiah4. Christopher3, Thomas2 , Robert1). He was there in 1776. He had married Lydia Philbrick in 1769. His will, made in 1807, bequeathed to daughters, Abigail Bickford and Sarah Berry: to son John (1779-1871) the homestead, reserving rights to "my wife and his mother'': also to sons Jeremiah and Daniel, the latter having land in Lot 44. John married Huldah Locke in 1800. "The aged widow Page" died in 1840 aged 92. "Mrs. Mehitable Page" died in 1846 aged 87. A Simeon Page, with small family, was in town in 1790, perhaps husband of Mehitable. In 1785 Daniel Philbrick of Hampton deeded his sons, Daniel, Perkins and John, large tracts in the second range, near Pittsfield. Daniel and Perkins, and also a Samuel Philbrick, were in town in l790, all with large families. The Philbricks became extensive landowners in the region where they settled, as well as thrifty and prosperous farmers. Daniel died in 1835 aged 82; Perkins in 1838 aged 80; and the widow of John in 1853 aged 96. Sons of Daniel were Daniel and David, who died in 1774, aged 92 and 77. Sons of Perkins were Perkins and Joseph, who married Lucy and Martha, daughters of John Ham.
There were several Brown families. Enoch settled on the North road before 1790, on land given him by his father, Jonathan, of Kensington. Levi, probably a brother, was of Epsom in 1781, and bid off the John Yeaton lot, adjoining, for taxes. He died in 1816, having bequeathed to wife, not named, to daughter, Mercy Brown and to sons, Abel and Levi. Enoch died in 1824, having bequeathed to wife, Eleanor, and children not named. Joseph Brown of Rye (Joseph4, Joseph3, Thomas2, John1) married Abbie Dolbeer, sister of Nicholas, and settled in Epsom before 1790, as did his brother Job, who had married Huldah Page; also, perhaps, two other brothers, Jonathan, with' wife Mary (Smith), and James, with wife Hannah (Smith). A cousin. John, son of Col. Jonathan, came a little later with wife Sarah (Allen).
Ephraim Pettingill, perhaps of Deerfield, was mentioned in the church records in 1772. He was of Epsom 1779-1800, living near the Warren Yeaton place. His wife was Hulda, daughter of Jonathan Batchelder of Hampton Falls. Several of his sons were Revolutionary soldiers. Elijah had a daughter, Joanna, who lived to old age in New Orchard as widow of Daniel Buzzell (1790-1841).
John Grant, a Revolutionary soldier, was of Epsom in 1789, and then bought Lot 19. His wife, Dorothy, died in 1843, aged 90, having bequeathed in 1838 to sons, Simon, John (1790-1864) and Ebenezer, and daughters, Sally Libby, Polly, wife of Ephraim Foss, and Dorothy, wife Nathan Goss. John, Jr., had sons, George and Andrew, the former fa ther of William Grant of New Orchard.
Ebenezer Brackett (1743-1826), from Greenland, settled at the Mountain in 1772, where he was succeeded by his son, Greenleaf, and he, by his son, John L. (1817-1901). David Dickey, of Chester, bought the Tarleton place, 120 acres, of Aaron Bur-bank in 1782. He deeded, 1794-1800, to Hanover, Robert and John Dickey, probably sons. Hanover had children, born 1803-1816, Eleanor, David, Hanover, Abraham, Sally and Lydia. Children of Robert, born 1804-1817, were Morrill. Eliza, Samuel, Sarah, Robert and Hannah. John Haynes deeded in 1797 to a son, John. Probably Levi and Matthias were sons.
Joel Ame [Amy], blacksmith, lived 1772-1791, west of McCoy's mountain, on the Hill road. He had a large family in 1790. Samuel Ames and Samuel Ames, Jr., both in town in 1774, had land west of the river, next south of that of Samuel Goss. Samuel deeded to Samuel. Jr., in 1786, and later to a son Solomon. An Amos Ames [son of Samuel Jr.], married Susan Moses in 1816, and had sons. Charles (1816-1887) and Thomas (1828-1900).
Samuel Goss (1755-1831), son of Nathan and Deborah (Allen) Goss of Stratham, came to town in 1778. His brother Joseph, who at first lived in Pembroke, had the next lot north, which also adjoined that of Symonds Fowler, who had bought there in 1770. Fowler had children, 1767-1788, Abigail, Benjamin, Sarah, Samuel (1775-1860), Mary, Esther, and Winthrop, who was father of Samuel Jr., (1821-1898).
Benjamin Mason and wife, Molly, came to Sanborn's Hill in1769. Thomas Hinds, from Greenland, with wife Mehetabel, was of Epsom and "Allenstown 1752-1770. In 1768 he sold a lot in the third range, near Allenstown, to Wm. Drought of Portsmouth, shoemaker, who came to town.
James Wood was in town in 1760 and had married Mary McCoy. They may have had children before 1760. Their children from 1760 onward were James, Isabel, Joseph, Mary and Betsey. James was head of a family in 1790. Betsey married Benjamin Towle.
Nathaniel Keniston was in town in 1771; John Casey, in 1773. In 1773, John Casey, trader, sold Nathaniel Keniston, husbandman, Lot 82, at Short Falls. In 1790 John Hogan, tailor, of Epsom sold land to Jonathan Bartlett of Pembroke, who came to town.
Other early settlers are mentioned in the records as follows: John Allen in 1751 and 1755; Jude Allen, 1779; Joshua Berry, 1750 and 1760; Timothy Goodwin, 1772; Samuel Jackson, 1763 and 1769 (He had wife Eunice); Amos March, 1772: James McCrillis, 1771; George Sargent, 1771; Joseph Smith, 1771; Thomas Ward, 1771 (from Kensington).
All the signers of the Association Test have been mentioned in this and the preceding articles, expect the following: Samuel Davis, Israel Folsom, Thomas Holt, William Holt, Benjamin Johnson, David Knowlton, William Mason, Henry McCrillis, John McCrillis, William McCrillis, James Nelson, Nathaniel Payn, Henry Seavey, Joseph Seavey and Dr. Obadiah Williams. No doubt these were as worthy of commemoration as the others, but my researches have failed to include them.
This concludes my contribution to this department of Epsom history. May its deficiencies provoke others to do more and better. I hope to contribute an article on the first church of Epsom, for the years 1761-1774, and its pastor, Rev. John Tucke.

Items in [ ] or ---- are corrections not by the author
Part I appeared in the Granite Monthly June 1909
Part II September 1909
Part III December 1909
Part IV February 1910