Epsom One Room Schools
Schools in Epsom, N.H. written by George H. Yeaton circa 1963
"The division of the town
into districts for school purposes was by common consent or an occasional
vote of the town until May 19, 1808, when the selectmen were instructed
to make such division, and affix meter and bounds to the same,
and make a return thereof to the clerk to be by him recorded,
and was substantially as follows:
Sometime later the Districts were
re-numbered about the year 1830-1841. In January of 1833 the school
house in District Number 3 was burned, and the following season the
district was divided forming the New Rye and Mountain Districts, the
former taking Number 9, the Fowler District having been
taken off of Number 4 a few years before and numbered 8. In 1851 District
No. 10 Mardens was taken from Number 2, and there
are two union districts - one with Pittsfield, Number 6 and one with
Chichester, known as the Union District. In the year 1885 there were
nine school houses in Epsom. This made eleven school districts including
the two union districts.
From old Epsom Records: March 17, 1784. it was Voted to raise forty-five pounds for the support of a school, In March, 1782 it was Voted to raise one hundred silver dollars for the support of schools.
PHOTOS: First in each series from Epsom Historical Association Archives; middle smaller photo taken by George Yeaton in 1963. The color photos are as they appear May 2000.
District No. 1 CENTER HILL
The first school house in Epsom, N.H. was at Center Hill. It was later replaced by the present building, which was closed in June 1955.
District No. 2 GOSSVILLE SCHOOL
(former Cilley District)
In the year 1840 the original
school building at Gossville was located on the Goborough Road near
where the Huckins Oil Company is now. It was then known as the Cilley
District No. 3 MOUNTAIN (Red
School House) SCHOOL
The Mountain District School was closed in 1911. The building was sold in the year 1920 or 1921 to the Mountain School Club for $15.00. It was opened for one year of school in 1926 and 1927.
District No. 4 SHORT FALLS
The Short Falls School closed in 1955 when the new Central School was opened. It now belongs to the Elwdood O. Wells Post, American Legion.
District No. 5 NEW ORCHARD
The New Orchard School House was built in 1884. It replaced the old building that was one-fourth of a mile north. This school was closed permanently in the year 1930. It was later sold to George H. Yeaton.
District No. 6 UNION DISCTRICT
Union with Pittsfield. In 1841 a Pittsfield School District and Epsom School District number 6 were united to form Republican School District.(taken from N.H. Manual for the General Court)
District No. 7 NORTH ROAD SCHOOL
The North Road School closed in June 1935. Later the building was sold to John P. Yeaton.
District No. 8 FOWLER DISTRICT
The school house in the Fowler
District is gone. It is understood that it was moved from there and
later destroyed in a fire. The last time school was kept in the building
was the year of 1888. At that time or during the school year of 1889
the Fowler District united with Short Falls District.
District No. 9 NEW RYE SCHOOL
The school house at New Rye closed in June 1942 and later sold to the New Rye Congregational Church. The orginal building burned in 1998 and was rebuilt identical to the orginal. It is the home of Epsom Scout Troop 80.
District No. 10 MARDEN DISTRICT
The Marden District school house
was located on Brimstone Hill where Russell Johnson has
built his house. The building was sold to George H. Burnham about
the year 1893 and moved to his mill yard for use as a blacksmith shop.
At present it is owned by George E. Huckins and used by him as a shop.
District No. 11
District at Jug City