Epsom articles from old newspapers

Section Two - DEATHS


NH Gazette 12-17-1784 (probably) JOHN GRAY

Portsmouth, December 17. On Monday last, the son of Major James Gray, of Epsom, about 16 years old, in attempting to lead a very unruly horse of his father's to water, made the end of the halter fast about his wrist, the horse in prancing hove him down and ran away with him, dragged him over a four broad fence and through the field, until the halter broke. The family supposed the young man had gone to spend the evening with his relations, were unconcerned about him until the next morning, when to their great surprise, they found blood on the fence where the horse had dragged the young man over, then, following the blood, after sometime found him at a considerable distance alive, but perfectly helpless and senseless; his life is despaired of, as it is supposed that most of his bones were broken.

The Mirror 5-13-1798 EPHRAIM LOCKE

Very suddenly, a Mr. Locke from Epsom, who came here to ordination apparently well - but after eating supper, he fell from his chair and expired instantly.

Newburyport Herald 7-7-1801 JOHN McCLARY

At Epsom, (N.H.) The Hon. John McClary, aged 82. A Whig in '75 and a Federalist in '98.


In our last we noticed the death of the widow Elizabeth Locke, of this town. The following particulars of her life were then offered for publication, but too late for insertion in that paper: "Mrs. Locke was born at Kensington, in this State; and was the daughter of Deacon Samuel Page. With the privilege of pious parentage; and the advantage of a religious education, thro' a divine blessing her mind was early impressed with a sense of divine truth. Under the age of 30, she became a professor of the religion of Jesus; and though through life she appeared to make progressive advances in the divine life, her humility was the more conspicuous as she made attainments in holiness. Being early planted in the house of the Lord, and established in the grace of the Gospel, her virtues flourished in the succeeding periods of life, and brought forth fruit in old age. She lived with her first husband, Mr. Nathan Bachelder, about 13 years, by whom she had four children; three of these she buried in quick succession when young; Mr. John Bachelder, of this town, is the only one that survives. Her second husband was Mr. Francis Locke, of Epsom, with whom she lived 18 years, and it is about 18 years that she had lived a widow since his decease."

Portsmouth Oracle 9-19-1807 JOSEPH SHERBURNE

In Epsom, 1st instant, Major Joseph Sherburne, aged 62

Newburyport Herald 10-16-1807 ELIZABETH McCLARY

In Epsom, N.H. Mrs. Elizabeth McClary, relict of the late Hon. John McClary.

NH Gazette 1-26-1808 CAPT. JOHN McCLARY

DIED - At Fort Adams in November last, Capt. John McClary, of the first Regiment of Infantry in the army of the U.S. aged 40 years, formerly of Epsom, N.H., and son of the late Major McClary who fell in the battle at Bunker's Hill.

Newburyport Herald 4-22-1808 MRS. ELIZABETH OSGOOD

In Epsom, N.H. Mrs. Elizabeth, wife of Col. S. Osgood, Aet. 67

NH Patriot 7-24-1810 COL. JAMES H. McCLARY

DIED - At Epsom, Col. James H. McClary. He was interred with military and Masonic honors.

Farmers Cabinet 8-6-1811 CAPT. ANDREW McCLARY

DIED - In Washington City, Capt. Andrew McClary, of the War Department, formerly of Epsom, N.H. and son of the brave Maj. McClary who fell in the field of battle on Bunker's Hill.

Repertory & General Advertiser 5-22-1812 JAMES GRAY

At Amelia Island, Mr. James Gray, just 24, of Epsom, N.H.

The Yankee 6-20-1812 JAMES CHAPMAN

In Epsom, N.H. Mr. James Chapman, aged 40; he hung himself with a skein of yarn, upon a loom.

NH Patriot 4-2-1816 CAPT. SAMUEL LOCKE

DIED - At Epsom, of the prevailing fever, Capt. SAMUEL LOCKE, aged 55; an honest man and a highly valued citizen; a soldier of the Revolution, and who had ever remained steadfast and immoveable in those principles which achieved & have preserved American Independence.

Essex Register 5-3-1817 COL. JEREMIAH PRESCOTT

In Epsom, Col. Jeremiah Prescott, aged 75, and officer of the Revolution.

Newburyport Herald 8-15-1817 ELIZABETH PITMAN

In Epsom, Wid. Elizabeth Pitman, Aet 99 y. 9 mo. & 19 days.

Concord Observer 2-22-1819 JONATHAN STRONG CURTIS

In Epsom, on the 14th instant, Jonathan Strong Curtis, aged about 24 months, only child of Rev. Jonathan Curtis.

Boston Gazette 11-11-1819 CAPT. ISAAC OSGOOD

We hear from Epsom, that a Capt. Osgood of that town, in a fit of derangement, put an end to his existence by cutting his throat on Wednesday last.

Concord Observer 1-3-1820 ABIGAIL BRACKETT

In Epsom, Mrs. Abigail Brackett, 75, wife of Mr. Ebenezer Brackett

Concord Observer 3-27-1820 BENJAMIN MOODY Esq.

In Epsom, Benjamin Moody, Esq. Attorney at Law, 45.

Farmers Cabinet 3-3-1821 SALLY C. KNOX

In Epsom, a child of Robert Knox, aged about 2 years - death occasioned by the child pulling from a table a vessel of hot fat, which fell upon its breast.

Hillsboro Telegraph 5-5-1821 SIMONDS FOWLER & HANNAH FOWLER

In Epsom, Mr. Simonds Fowler, 86, and Hannah Fowler, daughter of Mr. Winthrop F. grandparent and grandchild died within 24 hours of each other, and both buried at the same time.

Portsmouth Journal of Literature and Politics 8-4-1821 JOHN CAMPBELL

In Newburyport, John Campbell, 31, of Epsom.

Hillsboro Telegraph 9-22-1821 CHILDREN OF AMOS DAVIS

In Epsom, Mehitable aged 9, William aged 7 and Samuel aged 5, children of Mr. Amos Davis - all of them died in the space of three weeks of a sore throat.

Portsmouth Journal 12-22-1821 JOHN McCLARY Esq.

In Epsom, John McClary Esq. aged 37, son of Michael McClary, Marshal of this District. The deceased was killed, almost instantly, by the fall of a piece of timber from the frame of a shed under which he was standing. From his earliest youth he possessed in a remarkable degree the affection of his friends, and the confidence of his fellow-citizens. He was repeatedly elected a representative from his native town in the Legislature of this State, and two years ago he was chosen a Senator, by the fourth district. The kindness of his manners, the frankness of his temper, and the uprighness of his conduct will not soon be effaced from the memory of those who knew him.


In Goffstown, Aug. 18, George Wallace, aged 48, formerly of Epsom, but lately of New York, on a visit to friends in New Hampshire.

1-27-1823 SIMEON TOWLE

In Epsom, on the 3d inst. Mr. Simeon Towle, in the 71st year of his age. He served in the French war, and the war of the Revolution, with honor to himself and fidelity to his country. He sustained an unblemished reputation for integrity and industry, and till a few days previous to his death enjoyed an uninterrupted course of bodily health, when he terminated his earthly career with composure and resignation. At his interment, an appropriate and well adapted sermon was delivered upon the occasion by the Rev. Mr. Prentice of Northwood. - Statesman

Haverhill Gazette 1-31-1823 SOLOMON TOWLE

In Epsom, Mr. Solomon Towle, 71. (prob. Simeon above)


In Epsom, 12th January instant, in the 46th year of her age, Mrs. Miriam Libbey, wife of Mr. Richard Libbey, and daughter of Mr. Benjamin Collins of Salisbury, Mass, after a very distressing illness, which she bore with uncommon fortitude and patience, through the presence of that Saviour in whom she believed. In her life and death was illustrated that important truth suggested by the apostle James that "God hath chosen the poor of this world, rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him." Though not altogether destitute of property, she was left a widow with six children, who she had by her first husband, Mr. Robert Goodhue; to provide for whom and her own support she was obliged to struggle with great difficulties. In addition to these trials she was repeatedly called to endure great and long continued sufferings from that distressing malady, which, at last put a period to her life.

Salem Gazette 3-26-1824 MR. BENJAMIN BLAKE

In Wolfeboro, Mr. Benjamin Blake, aged 93. From Greenland, Mr. B. first removed to Epsom, and thence to Wolfeboro, Nov. 9, 1766, being the first white man who entered the town. Deeply interesting must have been his reflections in the decline of life, whilst reviewing the pleasing and rapid changes that had occurred around him during the last fifty years of his protracted existence. Before his own axe, the forest began to fall; and yet he had lived to see the spot, on which his own were the first foot-steps imprinted by civilized man, covered with almost two thousand inhabitants and rendered the abode of industry and enterprise. In the hour or trial, Mr. Blake was not found wanting in firmness and courage. During the contest usually denominated the French War, he marched to Saratoga, and before he returned was personally concerned in a sharp action with the enemy.

NH Patriot and Gazette 4-5-1824 GEN. MICHAEL McCLARY

Departed this life at Epsom, N.H. on Saturday evening, March 27, a few minutes before twelve o'clock, Gen. MICHAEL McCLARY, aged 71 years. He had been confined to his house about eight weeks; a sharp humor, which had troubled him for some months, was followed by several succeeding stokes of paralysis, one of which, more powerful than those which preceded is supposed to have ended his mortal career. Funeral services were performed at the meeting-house on Tuesday, where a great number of people attended to pay their last respects to the remains of one of our most estimable and distinguished citizens.
We are not possessed of those ample materials by which we should be able to do justice to the character and services of Gen. McClary. He was grandson of Andrew McClary, a native of Ireland, who was an early settler of Epsom, and nephew of Maj. Andrew McClary, who fell at battle of Breed's Hill, June 17, 1775, after the Americans had retreated from the hill, while attempting to rally the troops in a new attack of the enemy.
The nephew, then only twenty-two years old, was an ensign in Capt. Moore's company and Col. Stark's regiment, from whose cool and determined bravery on that day, occupying the ground in rear of a rail fence and under the light cover of a few handfuls of new mown hay, such astonishing havoc was made in the ranks of the British regulars. Under the fire of this regiment, twice were the mercenaries driven back; and it was not until their stock of ammunition was expended that the New Hampshire troops left their ground. Stark and the McClary's and Moore, all descendants of Ireland, were truly congenial spirits; for cool intrepidity and valor, perhaps their superiors are not to b found in the annals of our country.
It is melancholy to reflect, that with the death of this last revolutionary patriot, there remains not in this State one McClary of the male line to keep in remembrance the name; yet the good and glorious deed, the virtues and the patriotism of men of this name, will not be obliterated so long as the faithful page of history shall tell us of times past and gone. But a few years since there lived two promising sons of Gen. McClary. One of them, often the inmate of our social circles, having reaped his full share of early earthly honors, was suddenly and in an unexpected manner, arrested by the band of death; and we have but too strong reason to believe that this tragical event precipitated the death of the father, whose life seemed to be bound up in that of the son. The other, who emulating the spirit of his ancestors had entered the service of his country at the commencement of the late war, has departed for the world of spirits in a land of strangers.
Few men in this State have filled an active life with more usefulness that the deceased Gen. McClary. Successively a representative and senator in the State Legislature from the time of the first formation of the government until the year 1801, he was that year appointed by Mr. Jefferson marshal for the District of New Hampshire, which office he filled until vacated by a voluntary resignation a few weeks previous to his death; in the same time, he was for several years Adjutant General for the State of New Hampshire; it had been repeatedly urged on him by many of his fellow citizens to stand as a candidate for Governor, but this he invariably declined; indeed, there was scarcely any office in the gift of the people which would not have been freely and spontaneously bestowed upon him.
Within the whole compass of our acquaintance in this State, we know of no man, the extent of whose personal influence exceeded that of the deceased; this influence resulted from his known integrity and consistency of character, as well as from that patriotism which never tired in the cause of his country.
Gen. McClary, although not a professor of religion, was a liberal supporter of the religious institutions of the State; and if an opinion may be formed of the quantum of goodness from deeds of charity and beneficence- if we are to consider that servant who obeyed without a promise as more acceptable than he who promised but obeyed not; then who shall say that the deceased was not a Christian?


In Epsom, Mrs. Mercy Bickford, aged 89 years. She was the last survivor of the brothers and sisters: her brother, Benjamin Blake, died in Wolfeboro in Feb. last, aged 92. She left four children, 28 grandchildren, 70 great grandchildren, and 3 of the fifth generation - making 105 living descendants. She was left a widow at the age of 37, and devoted her remaining years to the care of her children, and the service of her redeemer, of whose church she was a member half a century.

NH Patriot 5-31-1824 DANIEL ALLEN

In Epsom, N.H. May 31, after a few weeks of distressing illness, Mr. Daniel Allen, aged 24. He has left a mother and several brothers and sisters to mourn their loss. He was a young man of a respectable character, and much esteemed by those who knew him. He professed to entertain a hope in Christ during his sickness, and died with great composure of mind. His funeral was attended on Wednesday following and a discourse was delivered by on the occasion by Elder Arthur Caverno of said town from John _ 35. "Jesus wept."

Salem Gazette 10-5-1824 CHARLES HENRY LORD

In Epsom, N.H., Charles Henry Lord, aged 6, only son of Capt. Edward D. Lord, killed instantly by his clothes getting entangled in the gearing of a water-wheel in a fulling mill.

NH Patriot 1-3-1825 ABIGAIL GOSS

In Epsom, Mrs. Abigail, wife of Mr. Samuel Goss, aged 66. She was a worthy companion and an affectionate parent. When sensible of the near approach of the king of terrors, she manifested a perfect resignation to the will of God, and died in full expectation of a blessed inheritance in the kingdom of peace.

NH Patriot 12-5-1825 MEHTIABLE MARDEN

In Epsom, Nov. 10, Mrs. Mehitable, wife of Mr. Jonathan Marden, aged 25. Printers in Maine are requested to notice this death.

Boston Commercial Gazette 12-5-1825 MRS. MIRIAM FRENCH

Mrs. Miriam French, of Epsom, N.H.


In Epsom, on the 29th ult. Francena Malin Babb, daughter of Dr. James Babb, 4 months.

Boston Commercial Gazette 4-3-1826 MRS. SUSANNAH GRAY

At Epsom, Mrs. Susannah Gray, aged 73 - she was sister to the late Chief Justice Parsons, of Mass.


In Epsom, July 12, Lieut. Jonathan Curtis, aged 78. He early engaged in the revolutionary struggle for liberty - was one of the minute men, and of the army that invested Boston, after the battle of Lexington.


In Epsom, of Dysentery, Mary Robinson Sanborn, aged 8 years and 9 months, and Luther Calvin Sanborn, aged 3 years and 1 month, children of Mr. Reuben Sanborn, jun.


In Lowell, MA, November 23rd, Mrs. Martha Jenness, aged 27,wife of Mr. Jonathan Jenness, formery of Rye, and daughter of Mr. Daniel Philbrick (Jr.) of Epsom, having endured a pulmonary disease of about nine years (died). About two years since she became a member of the Free Baptist Church in Epsom; but Providence saw fit to dismiss her from her membership there by her death, and we trust to unite her with the Church triumphant in heaven. During her confinement she would often express a desire to go hence and be with Christ, which was far better than to be here - yet sometimes fearful would offend by being too anxious for her departure. She has left a large circle of friends and acquintance to mourn their loss; but they mourn not as those who have no hope of the welfare of their departed relatives. She gave a consoling evidence to her friends and those who visited her occasionally, that her work was done and well done

NH Patriot 5-26-1828 JOHN C. ROSS

In Epsom, May 4, of pulmonary consumption, Mr. John C. Ross, aged 32. He enlisted in the army of the United States in 1808. In 1811, in the company commanded by the late Capt. Geo. W. Prescott of Portsmouth, he went with the fourth regiment, (of which the gallant Miller was then lieutenant colonel) to the sources of the Wabash; and in the battle of Tippecanoe, (the prelude to the war that soon followed) was severely wounded in the breast by an Indian arrow. In the spring of 1813, he joined the Kentucky volunteers who were descending the Miami, for the relief of Fort Meigs, then closely invested by the British and Indians. Ross accompanied that portion of the relieving army which landed the west side of the river to storm the British batteries which they did with great gallantry; but not satisfied with this victory, and pursuing the enemy too far, were drawn into an ambuscade, and nearly all cut off. When Col. Dudley was wounded, Ross was near him, and saw the Colonel kill an Indian with his own hand, and soon after fall by a second shot, while cheering and exhorting his men. Ross escaped from the massacre, and while attempting to cross the rapids, was struck by a musket ball, which lodged in his body, and was never extracted. He was assisted across the river by Stephen Knight, now living in Northwood, and by another soldier by the name of Cook, who with others rushed from the fort into the water to save their comrades escaping from the slaughter. Notwithstanding this disaster, the siege was soon raised, and the enemy retreated. In the ensuing summer, Ross participated with the brave Crogham and his small but fearless garrison in the memorable defense of Fort Stephenson on the Sandusky. After the war he returned to his old quarters, Fort Constitution in this State, where he continued in the service till the effects of his wound, and the increase of the disease which carried him to his grave, rendered him too feeble for duty, when he was honorably discharged. Reader! Let not the memory of those who fought and bled for our liberties, or of those who fought and bled to maintain them, be forgotten!


In Epsom, on the 5th inst. Mrs. Mary Wallace, wife of Mr. John Wallace, aged 45, of consumption, leaving a husband and ten children to mourn the loss of a kind companion and an affectionate parent; but they sorrow not as those who have no hope, Mrs. E. having left this world in full assurance of finding "a better country."

NH Patriot 1-26-1829 SARAH SHERBURNE

In Epsom, Widow Sarah Sherburne aged 81 - wife of William Sherburne deceased; she arose in the morning and dressed herself and in a few moments was a lifeless corpse. Printers in Vt. Will please notice the above.


In Wakefield, Mr. William Blake, aged 84; he was born in Epsom, in 1741, and was the 2nd male child born in that town. He was a soldier in the old French war and in the war of the Revolution.


In Epsom, May 19, Mrs. Martha, wife of John Bachelder, of Epsom, formerly of Kensington, aged 70. Printers in Vermont and Canada are requested, &c.

NH Patriot 6-29-1829 ELIJAH MOSES

In Epsom, 18th inst. of consumption, Mr. Elijah Moses, aged 36 years. In his sickness, which was long and peculiarly distressing, he appeared patient and resigned at last to the divine will, and met death with a cheerful hope of a blessed immortality.

Portsmouth Journal of Literature and Politics 8-22-1829 TIMOTHY PEARSON

In Epsom, June 21st, of typhus fever, Mr. Timothy Pearson, aged 34, formerly of Deerfield.

12-21-1829 JOHN CATE

In Epsom, Nov. 28, suddenly, Mr. John Cate, aged 56. By his dispensation a bereaved widow is called to mourn the loss of a kind and affectionate husband, and four daughters the loss of a tender and indulgent parent. Mr. Cate was a useful and exemplary member of the Congregational Church in Epsom, and from his early life a pattern of honesty, integrity, and uprightness in all his dealings. His loss will be long and deeply felt in the circle of his acquaintance.

2-1-1830 MICAL RAND

In Epsom, Jan. 5 of consumption, Mr. Mical Rand, aged 21 years, after an illness of twelve months. - Printers in Vermont, Maine, &c.


In Epsom, Feb. 21, Mrs. Mary Brown, wife of Jonathan Brown, and daughter of Richard Smith of Kingston, aged 63. She has left numerous connections to mourn their loss. She was a kind and affectionate wife, a tender mother, a faithful friend, and hospitable to the poor, and above all, in her most trying moments gave perfect evidence that her primary study and aim was to known and to do the will of her Heavenly Father; and that she had a treasure in heaven, and her name written in full faith the promise of her Savior, that where he is there she shall be also.

NH Patriot 4-12-1830 MARY C. MOSES

In Portsmouth, February 24, Mary C. Moses, aged 12 years, daughter of Elijah Moses, deceased, of Epsom.

NH Patriot 5-31-1830 REUBEN SANBORN

In Epsom, April 5th, Mr. Reuben Sanborn, aged 59. He was a believer in the doctrine of Universalist Salvation and died in the firm persuasion of happiness, through the atonement of his Savior.

NH Patriot 7-12-1830 WILLIAM YEATON Jr.

In Epsom, July 3, after an illness of ten days, Mr. Wm. Yeaton, Jr., aged 47. He has left a wife and four children, to mourn the loss of a husband and father.


In Epsom, July 1st, of dysentery, Mrs. Mary H. Lovejoy, wife of Mr. John Lovejoy, aged 27 years; also in the same family of dysentery, July 16, Benjamin, son of Mr. John Lovejoy, aged one year;
July 24, William McD., son of Mr. Benjamin Jenness, in the 6th year of his age.

NH Patriot 8-12-1830 OLIVE S. TOWLE

In Epsom, July 15, Olive S. Towle, aged 9 years and July 21, Charles A. Towle, aged 5 years - children of Mr. Simeon Towle.

NH Patriot 1-24-1831 GEORGE BROWN

In Epsom 8th inst. George Brown, aged 4 years; also on 10th inst. Elvira Ann Brown, aged 6, children of Jacob Brown.(actualy Josiah Brown)

Portsmouth Journal of Literature & Politics 2-5-1831 JETHRO PETTINGILL

In Epsom, Jethro Pettingill, aged 72 - a pensioner of the Revolution.

NH Patriot 1-9-1832 FRANCIS LOCKE

In the Mass Gen Hospital, Boston, Dec. 17th Mr. Francis Locke, son of John Locke of Epsom, N.H., aged 28 years.


In Epsom, Dec. 23, Mrs. Sally Lovejoy, wife of Mr. Zebadiah Lovejoy, aged 60.

NH Patriot 3-26-1832 DOLLY EASTMAN

At Newmarket, March 4th, Miss Dolly Eastman, daughter of Mr. Isaac and Mrs. I. Eastman, of Epsom, aged 16 years and 9 months. Miss E. had been lately called to attend to the concerns of her soul, and was brought to trust and hope in the mercy of God through Christ. She died suddenly of fever - her remains were conveyed to her parents in Epsom - a large concourse of friends attended the funeral, and an appropriate discourse was delivered by the Rev. Abel Manning, from, Heb 9:27 29.

Portsmouth Journal of Literature & Politics 10-20-1832 NANCY MARDEN

In Epsom, Miss Nancy, aged about 23, daughter of Mr. William Marden.

NH Gazette 5-21-1833 BETSEY YEATON

In Epsom, 29th ult. Betsey, wife of Mr. John Yeaton, aged 43.

NH Patriot 2-10-1834 WOODBURY MARDEN

In Epsom, January 22, Mr. Woodbury Marden, aged 39.

NH Patriot 4-27-1835 DANIEL PHILBRICK

In Epsom, April 18th, Elder Daniel Philbrick aged 82 years -leaving 10 children, 45 grandchildren and three great great grandchildren. Elder P. had been a professor of the Free Baptist communion 50 years and came to the grave like a shock of grain fully ripe in the same hope of entering that rest when the wicked cease from troubling and the weary are at rest. Elder P. entered the service of his country during the revolution, was in the battles of Bennington, Stillwater and Saratoga, and during life was a firm supporter of the Republican form of government which he fought to establish - an appropriate discourse was delivered at the funeral by Elder Dyer, from the words "all these died in faith."


In Epsom, 2nd inst. Jeremiah, son of John S. Haynes, aged 22. After dinner he went into the vicinity of Suncook river for the purpose of removing sheep from one pasture to another. His protracted absence at length alarmed the fears of his father and friends, who soon repaired to the banks of the stream where they found his clothes apparently in the situation in which he had deposited them when taken off for the purpose of bathing. A short search discovered his lifeless corpse at the bottom. He was an estimable and deserving young man, and his death is deeply lamented by his family and friends.

Barre Gazette 2-17-1837 AMOS AMES

In Epsom, N.H., Amos Ames; he was frozen to death, about a fortnight since, 50 rods from his mother's house, while carrying a bushel of wheat upon his back.

Portsmouth Journal of Literature & Politics 3-3-1838 PERKINS PHILBRICK

In Epsom, Feb. 1st, Mr. Perkins Philbrick aged about 90 years, a Revolutionary patriot and soldier.

NH Patriot 4-23-1838 CAPT. ROBERT F. BROWN

In Epsom, on the 2d inst., Capt. Robert F. Brown, aged 27 years, son of Mr. James and Mrs. Hannah Brown. In this most afflictive dispensation of Providence, a large and respectable family are called to mourn the loss of one near and dear: near by the strongest ties of nature, natural and social affection, and endeared by the constant practice of every Christian virtue. Mr. B. suffered a long and distressing consumptive illness, which he bore with fortitude and resignation. He lived and died as becometh a true Christian, and his whole character, exalted by that spirit of benevolence and kindness which characterized the glorious Author of his faith, his held in the highest estimation by all his friend, neighbors and acquaintance; and by all his memory will be long cherished, and deeply lamented.

Portsmouth Journal of Literature & Politics 9-1-1838 ANN SANBORN

In Epsom, Ann, wife of Hon. Josiah Sanborn, aged 79.

Portsmouth Journal of Literature & Politics 9-22-1838 LUCINDA LEAVITT

In Epsom, Miss Lucinda Leavitt, aged 23.

Haverhill Gazette 7-5-1839 MRS. ELIZABETH MOODY

In West Newbury, Mrs. Elizabeth Moody, widow of the late Benjamin Moody Esq. of Epsom, N.H., aged 68.

Portsmouth Journal of Literature & Politics 5-9-1840 DAVID GRIFFIN

In Epsom, Mr. David Griffin, aged 68.
Mrs. Olive, widow of the late Capt. John Ham, aged 76.

Portsmouth Journal 10-31-1840 ABRAM WALLACE

In Clinton, Maine, Mr. Abram Wallace, aged 78. Mr. Wallace was a native of Epsom, N.H.

NH Patriot 8-25-1842 GEORGE HOWE

Distressing Casualty. On Thursday or Friday last, Mr. George Howe, son of Jacob Howe of Epsom in this County, was so violently kicked by a vicious horse, as to survive only about 24 hours. The circumstances of the accident we understand to be these:- Mr. Howe was assisting a neighbor in ploughing, the horse being employed before oxen as part of the team. In some way, the chain by which the horse was attached to the oxen became disengaged, and as Mr. Howe was bout to hook it, he was struck in the lower part of the abdomen by both hind feet of the horse, with such force that all appearance of life was for the time destroyed. By active and persevering efforts, however, his companions succeeded in resuscitating the vital spark, and he was removed to his home, where he lingered in the most excruciating agony about twenty four hours. We learn, that Mr. Howe was a very respectable young man, about 23 or 24 years of age, and has left a young wife and infant child to mourn his sudden and untimely exit. The funeral was attended on Saturday last, by a large concourse of friends and citizens.

NH Patriot 1-5-1843 SAMUEL LEAR

In Epsom, Nov. 20th, Samuel Lear, a Revolutionary pensioner, aged 80 years and 8 months.

In Epsom, 4th inst., Col. Daniel Cilley, aged 73.


In Epsom, June 23rd, of consumption, Louisa Adeline Allen, aged 21; an amiable daughter and sister, whose loss will be deeply felt by mourning relatives and friends.

Farmers Cabinet 1-18-1844 RHODA BARTLETT MUSSEY

In Deerfield, December 12th, at the residence of David Smith, Esq., Mrs. Rhoda Mussey, in the 80th year of her age, relict of the late Dr. John Mussey of Peterborough, and step-mother to Dr. R.B. Mussey of Cincinnati, Ohio. Her maiden name was Bartlett; she was a native of Newbury, MS and was converted under the preaching of Dr. Thayer of Kingston, and first joined his church -- spent the earlier part of her life with her parents in Epsom, and was subsequently married to Dr. Mussey. To the honor of her children in law, and to her own also, be it said, that they made good provision for the comfortable support of their widowed step mother in her old age.
At her request she was, two years ago, placed in the family of Squire Smith of Deerfield where she received all that kindness and attention which render old age comfortable and happy. Thus she spent her last days with her few surviving relatives and in sight of the very spot where she had passed her early life, and she now lies buried in the Epsom grave yard, by the side of her father and mother.
In character, Mrs. Mussey was a devoted, self-denying Christian. By her death, the pastor, the church and the foreign mission and bible cause, have lost one of their best friends. But it is hoped that what is our loss is her gain.

NH Patriot 1-18-1844 MARY H. RAND

In Epsom, Jan. 4th, Mrs. Mary H. Rand, wife of Mr. Stephen Rand, aged 57. She was for many years a professed follower of the blessed redeemer, whose promises supported her through a distressing sickness, and we humbly trust she has entered into that rest which remaineth for the people of God. Printers in Vt., please copy.

NH Patriot 5-30-1844 POLLY D.C. KNOX

In Epsom, on the 27th inst., of dropsy, Mrs. Polly D.C. Knox, wife of Robert Knox, Esq., and daughter of the late Col. Daniel Cilley, aged 53. The deceased possessed a large and vigorous intellect, with uncommon energy and decision of character, and, notwithstanding the ravages of disease for many years, she retained her powers in a remarkable degree to the last. Esteemed and beloved by her friends and acquaintances, her death to them is an affliction, which will not be soon forgotten. To the immediate circle of her relations and her own loved family, her loss is irreparable.

NH Patriot 2-27-1845 JONATHAN CHASE

In Epsom, Feb. 18, after a severe and protracted illness, which he bore with unusual patience and resignation, Mr. Jonathan Chase, aged 66. Printers in Vt. And Me. are requested &c.

Exeter Newsletter 6-9-1845 JAMES LOCKE
Deaths - In Stanstead, L.C. , March 29th, from the kick of a horse, Mr. James Locke, a native of Epsom, NH, aged 70.

NH Patriot 7-31-1845 HANNAH CHASE

In Deerfield, 23d inst., Mrs. Hannah, consort of Jonathan Chase, late of Epsom, in the 60th year of her age. Printers in Vt. And Me. are requested &c.

Farmers Cabinet 11-6-1845 MARY ANN L.H. WALLACE

In Epsom, Mrs. Mary Ann L. H. Wallace, aged 24 years, wife of William Wallace, and eldest daughter of the late Capt. N.G. Dana, of the U.S. Army.

NH Patriot 7-23-1846 SARAH TOWLE

In Epsom, 12th inst., Mrs. Sarah Towle, wife of the late Joseph Towle, aged 70 years, 8 months and 9 days.

Exeter Newsletter, 11-9-1846 ELIPHALET WIGGIN
In Richmond, Wisconsin, Sept. 7th very suddenly, Eliphalet Wigggin, Esq. of Epsom, NH in the 47th year of his age.

NH Patriot 7-12-1849 GEORGE W. HAM

At Epsom, very suddenly, George W., youngest son of William Ham Esq., in the 23rd year of his age. His remains were escorted to the grave, July 4th, by the Epsom Light Infantry of which the deceased was a member, and a large circle of mourning relatives and friends. The deceased was a young man of industrious habits and unblemished reputation. His many amiable traits of character had much endeared him to his family and friends, who will deeply feel his sudden and unexpected death. Long will this anniversary of our nation's independence be painfully remembered by the bereaved family, and especially by her to whom he was betrothed.

NH Patriot 5-9-1850 ROBERT KNOX

At Epsom, April 28, of strangulated hernia, after an illness of but four days, Robert Knox, Esq., eldest son of the late William Knox of Pembroke, aged 61. Appointed Deputy Sheriff for Rockingham in 1818, he had held the office for that county and Merrimack almost without interruption for thirty two years, and was extensively known as a prompt, efficient and faithful public officer, and an upright man. He was also for many years Postmaster at Epsom. He died in the strength and vigor of manhood, and in the full possession of all his faculties to the last moment.

NH Patriot 7-11-1850 CHARLES K. HOYT

Drowned at Pembroke, June 30, while bathing, Mr. Charles K. Hoyt, aged about 29 years, eldest son of Mr. Morrill Hoyt of Epsom.

At Epsom, July 1, Eliza P., wife of Ambrose D. Haynes, aged 26. She has left behind her two little children, now without a mother's care - one but an infant. She was sensible that she must die, and appeared to resign herself calmly and willingly into the hands of her God and Redeemer. To all her surviving friends her loss is very great - to husband, parents, brethren and sisters, their wounds are deep, their trials are heavy - may a merciful God heal them and comfort them.

Farmers Cabinet 9-3-1851 REUBEN SANBORN

Intoxication and Death - At Epsom, N.H., on Saturday evening, as a man named Reuben Sanborn, in a state of intoxication, was returning to his home from a day's work, with his scythe and broad ax, he fell, as is supposed, upon his tools, and cut his arm severely. Some individuals took his tools from him and started him along. He was found the next morning dead by the side of the road, within a half-mile of his home. He had bled profusely, and probably became faint and was unable to proceed and perished from exposure to the night air.

Mirror and Farmer 8-26-1865 DEA. EATON GREEN

SUDDEN DEATH - Dea. Eaton Green of Andover (MA) fell and instantly died at the barn of W. Phillips Foster, on Tuesday morning. He was 68 years of age, and was a very worth man. The cause of his death was undoubtedly the heart disease. His father Jabez Green, died in a similar manner at Epsom, NH about twenty years since.

Mirror and Farmer 12-22-1866 HORACE LOCKE

FATAL ACCIDENT AT EPSOM - Dexter and Horace Locke, sons of Mr. (Simeon) Prescott Locke of Epsom, while riding down hill Saturday night, the harness giving way, letting the carriage upon the horse and causing him to run, were thrown out of the wagon. Horace received injuries upon the head that caused instant death. Dexter, it is feared, is fatally injured in the back. The latter is 28, the former was 28 years old. [Dexter survived]

Lake Village Times 2-20-1869 ALANSON STEWART

AWFUL ACCIDENT - At Suncook, on the 11th, at about nine o'clock A.M., three employees of the Pembroke Mills, Alanson Stewart, Frank Frazier, and their overseer, Charles B. Emerson - went out to repair the gas works. Before entering the reservoir, a light was lowered for testing the air. No indications of gas appeared, and Stewart and Frazier immediately went down into the reservoir. While they were at work fixing a broken pipe, a lantern was let down at the request of Stewart. Soon after, an explosion occurred, smoke rose from the reservoir and sounds as of distress. The force pumps of the mill were put in operation, and ten minutes after the accident, Superintendent Stewart went down the ladder, and found the disfigured bodies of Stewart and Frazier. Emerson escaped with bad burns, and was nearly suffocated. Mr. Pope, the agent of the mills, was hurled down an embankment by the force of the explosion and much bruised. The bodies were carried to the counting-room of the company and an inquest was held, E. B. Gould, Esq., acting as Coroner. The jurors were William Hazelton, Dr. C. F. P. Hildreth and Jacob WOods, who returned a verdict that the two men came to their death by the accidental ignition of naptha in the gas works of the Pembroke Mills Company, in which they were engaged in repairing the gas pipe, and where they had lighted a lantern, which in some way unknown came in contact with some inflammable material.

Stewart was a machinist by trade, and was an honest, reliable and industrious man. He was aged about forty and leaves a wife and two children. The impression is that Stewart slopped on some ice in the reservoir, and breaking his lantern ignited the gas. The reamains of Stewart were taken to Epsom for interment.

Mirror and Farmer 8-28-1869 JAMES HERSEY, ESQ.

James Hersey, Esq., one of our most respected citizens, died at 3 o'clock, Saturday morning, at his residence, corner of Union and Lowell streets (Manchester) in the 75th year of his age.

Mr. Hersey was, we believe, a native of Sanbornton, and was known prior to his residence in this city as "Master Hersey." For more than thirty years he was engaged very successfully in the profession of teaching, and had the early instruction of more scholars than any man of his day in this section of the country. He is still remembered kindly by many people in Epsom, Nottingham and that part of the State, as well as by residents of Belknap County. His father, whose name he bore, was a surveyor under royal appointment, laid out many of the original towns of the State and made the first survey of the lake section. A tract of land in Sanbornton was given by Gov. Wentworth to the elder Hersey, the title to which is still in the family.

The deceased came to this city twenty three years ago, after having abandonded his life-long occupation. He was at one time a member of the School Committee, and on the acessionn of Gen. Taylor to the Presidency, Mr. Hersey was appointed Postmaster of this city, on a large petition of the merchants and mechanics of the place, and in opposition, as was then ademitted, to the regular political candidate. He held the office vour years, and on retiring engaged for some years in the book and stationary business on Hanover street, as senior member of the firm of Hersey and Tilton.

For several years past he has been in a feeble state of health, and has been incapacitatef for the transaction of business, and has done by little labor. He leaves a wife, to who he was married about twenty years ago, but has no children and but few relatives. He has many warm friends in this city and in other sections of the State, who will long hold him in remembrance.

Mirror and Farmer 2-15-1870 WILLIAM YEATON

FATAL ACCIDENT - On Monday afternoon at about five o'clock, a young man by the name of Wm. H. Yeaton, while at work at Harvey's Mills, in the lower part of this city, was suddenly killed. He was at work about the saw mill, and while roling a log into the pond, in some way he was thrown under it. He was alone at the moment, but it is supposed that while he was endeavoring to move the log his cant hook slipped, and striking him threw him over it upon the timbers. The log rolled over upon him, and he was found under it with his head and breast badly crushed. He must have died instantly. Hon. Jacob F. James, the coroner, was called to view the body, but the facts were so apparent that he did not deem an inquest necessary. He was a native of Epsom, and was twenty-seven years of age, and was the son of the late William Yeaton of that place. He has been in the employ of the Messrs. Harvey about three years, and was regarded as a very active and worthy young man. He was unmarried. His remains were taken to Epsom for interment.

Mirror and Farmer 7-19-1873 JAMES MORRILL

James Morrill, of Epsom, a boy aged about seventeen years, was drowned while bathing in the Suncook river at that place Sunday afternoon. A stick was thrown to him after he had risen and sank twice and he was pulled to the shore, but expired almost at once.

NH Patriot and State Gazette 11-5-1873 DANIEL ANSEL CLOUGH

[David] Daniel Ansel Clough, a well known artist, formerly of this city, died at the residence of his father in Epsom, on Tuesday morning last, of consumption, at the age of 31 years. Since 1871 he has resided in Boston, where he devoted himself to landscape and portrait painting. During his residence in this city he made many friends who will sincerely mourn his departure. He was an artist of true talents, and his works were aquiring a considerable reputation. He leaves a widow. While in this city he joined White Mountain Lodge, IOOF, a considerable delegation from which went to Epsom on the morning train to attend his funeral.

Mirror and Farmer 5-22-1875 LUCRETIA (GRAY) BROWN

Death of an Old Resident - Mrs. Lucretia Gray Brown, wife of William Brown, died at Epsom on the 11th inst., at the advanced age of ninety-two years. In many respects Mrs. Brown was a remarkable woman, and with her death is lost much of the history of the town of Epsom. Her mother was a sister of Theophilus Parsons of legal fame, and her father, Capt. James Gray, an educated and accomplished soldier and for many years a prominent citizen of Epsom. He was captain in the Revolutionary war and his home after the close was the resort of many of the officers and prominent men of the State. This daughter had the advantage of education and social position, which, with an active mind, retentive memory, taste for reading, converszation and travel and long life, brought to her command a wonderful knowledge of the men and events of her time. Possessed of a vast fund of historical and general information, good humor, patriotic and generous impluses, her conversations were exceedingly interesting and instructive. She retained her mental and physical powers during her old age, and when eighty years old made a trip to Virginia to visit her son then serving in the Federal army, and while at Washington, attended one of the levees of President Lincoln. Her husband and three children survive her, and her memory will be cherished by a wide circle of acquaintances.

Mirror and Farmer 7-24-1875 ANDREW M. HEATH

Death of a Manchester Teacher. - The news cp,es by telegraph of the death at Epsom, this State, Saturday afternoon, of Capt. Andrew M. Heath, principal of the Piscataquog Grammar school in this city, at the age of 39 years. It was said last week that he was spending but a sorry vacation, being ill with inflammation of the bowels. He was not much known here having only come here to take charge of his school when Mr. Brown left it about the first of this year but he was highly esteemed by those who were aquainted with him, and he had the just reputation of a faithful teacher. His war record was a bright one. He enlisted from Loudon for three years in the Twelfth Regiment, being commissioned January 14, 1863, as Sergeant-Maj0or. In twelve days he was promoted to be Second Lieutenant, on the twelfth of May to First Lieutanant , on the first of June to Adjutant. He was raised to Captain Januaary 10, 1865, having been slightly wounded in the previous July. He obtained especial distinction by his bravery at Gettysburg, where he carried both colors after the color bearers had fallen under the rebel fire.

The Funeral of Captain Heath. - The funeral exercises of Capt. Andrew McClary Heath were at the home of his parents in Epsom on Tuesday, the 20th, at 11 o'clock A.M., the procession taking the noon train for Pittsfield, where the body was buried with Masonic honors in accordance with the request of the deceased. The exercises were in charge of Corinthian Lodge of F.A.M. of Pittsfield, Rev. S. L. Greeley officiating as chaplain, and were appropriate and impressive. The members pf tje Post of the Grand Army of that place, representative of the 12th New Hampshire Regiment, also of the teachers, school committee and his scholars from Manchester joined in the procession.

His many noble qualities of mind and heart had won for him, in a marked degree, the esteem and confidence of thse he met. and there was an unusual attendance at the funeral exercises both at Epsom and Pittsfield. The body was enclosed in a casket, surrounded with smilax and flowers and a large and beautiful wreath of flowers furnished by his scholars, and the grave was lined with evergreen. The Masons kindly furnished an ample collation at the passenger station at Pittsfield which was highly appreciated by the Manchester delegation and others from abroad. Capt. Heath was of revolutionary stock and his form and size is said to have resembled his namesake and great grand-father, Maj. Andrew McClary, the highest commanding office killed at the battle of Bunker Hill.

Mirror and Farmer 2-19-1876 EDWARD D. LORD

Edward D. Lord died at his residence in Boscawen on Friday from a local affection of the stomach, at the age of 81 years 7 months. He was a native of Sanbornton, went from there to Epsom where he followed the business of a clothier. Then coming here he was in trade about four years but left in 1850 to go to Boscawen where he has since lived. He was formerly deputy sheriff of Merrimack County under the late Jacob B. Moore, then high sheriff. Mr. Lord is survived by a brother, John Lord, father of Harrison D., two sons, Samuel D. and John P., all resident here, and one sister, Mrs. N. S. Webster of Boscawen.

NH Patriot and State Gazette 5-16-1877 MAMIE BROWN

FATAL SHOOTING ACCIDENT. Epsom, May 11. This community was the scene, yesterday, of one of the most distressing accidents that has ever occurred here. Little Mamie, four years of age. daughter of Cyrus O. and Mary E. Brown, accidentally shot and fatally wounded herself while playing with a revolver that was carelessly left lying on a stand in one of the chambers in the house of her grandfather, Newell Brown. It is suppossed she took the revolver in her hands, and while peering into the barrels, out of childish curiosity, the revolver was discharged, the ball entering the upper part of her right eye, grazing the frontal bone, traversing the brain horizontally, and inflicting a wound of which she died in about ten minutes. Dr. French was at once summoned, but the child was past all medical aid before he arrived. The revolver belonged to a hired boy who occupied the room, and everything points to the fact that the weapon was left cocked, as the child could hardly have accomplished it alone. This much for giving boys of 14 years of age, guns, pistols and bowie-knives for playthings, and to scatter about promiscuously. This is the third time the parents have been bereaved within the past three years, and they have the sympathy of the whold community in this last affliction.

Valley Times Nov. 25, 1892 JENNIE E. NOYES
Jennie E., wife of Albert G. Noyes, who died on the 13th, was the daughter of Simon and Abigail Healey, and born in this town December 18, 1838. She early manifested a love for study which developed into a real thirst for knowledge, but the death of her father and elder brother rendered it necessary she should leave school without attaining the proficiency she desired; yet while engaged in the different pursuits in life, she did not fail to improve every opportunity for intellectual attainments. Throughout her life, she was willing to sacrifice herself for the interest of those who were dear to her and never appeared to shrink from the faithful performance of every duty, and we, who best knew her worth, seem to hear the plaudit of "well done." In her associations she was considerate of the happiness of others; not given to evil speaking, but ready to throw the mantle of charity over others faults. Her kindness of heart reached out taking in ever the unfortunate and needy in her generosity, and she won friends wherever her lot was cast, who sincerely mourn her loss. She had been a member of the Congregational church in this place 34 years. The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved husband, to the invalid mother, who had been bereft many times and now is deprived of a devoted daughter and last surviving child. Her funeral was largely attended, Rev. J.W. Scribner officiating. The floral tributes consisted of a pillow inscribed "Jennie" from her husband. Fifty three roses with smilax, Mr. and J.B. Tennant; wreath, McClary Grange. basket, Mrs. Abbie Chase, Haverhill, MA; Chrysanthemums, Helen and Abbie Noyes, Haverhill, and from Mrs. J.W. Fowler of this town. Interment in New Rye Cemetery; burial service rendered at the grave by McClary Grange.

Valley Times Dec. 30, 1892 SALLY ROBINSON
Died in Manchester, December 26, Mrs. Sally Robinson, aged 73 years. She was a native of this town. Her remains were brought here Wednesday and laid beside her husband, Levi Robinson, in the cemetery at Short Falls.

Epsom Newsletter August 28, 1897
Frank Chase died at his home in Epsom, Monday, August 23.

Valley Times March 16, 1917
Mr. James W. Marden is reported slightly improved from a severe illness. A trained nurse is in attendance.
D.T. Cilley is convalescent from an attack of bronchitis.
An auction sale was held at the barn of B.M. Towle, Monday afternoon. Mr. Towle disposing of his herd of Holstein cows. H.B. Fairbanks of Manchester was the auctioneer.
Joseph Whidden, holder of the Boston Post cane, quietly observed his 90th birthday March 9th.

Valley Times February 13, 1931
Epsom people welcomed the largest sports party on record to invade New Hampshire, Sunday when the B&M R.R. "Snow Sports" train arrived.
Three locomotives were necessary to haul the 15-car train, on which were 654 men, women and children who had entertained in the North Station at Boston, at Winchester, Lowell and Manchester, NH.
The townspeople gave the train a royal welcome at Epsom depot. Pungs and trucks, the latter loaded with straw, were on hand and whisked the snowshoe and skating lovers off to favorable sports locations. Others of the natives had their automobiles on hand and hauled those who had brought their toboggans of into the hills were conditions were favorable for sliding. At other points the townspeople had assembled sleds and double-runners which they placed at the disposal of the visitors.
A further display of New Hampshire hospitality was the serving of hot coffee and doughnuts at the Town Hall, a courtesy provided for the visitors from the Bay State by the Citizens of Epsom and Gossville.
The train was parked all day at the Epsom depot, serving as a heated clubroom for the enthusiastics when they wanted to warm themselves before returning to their out-of-doors play.

Valley Times Mar. 28, 1931, Friday
Epsom, Mrs. Helen M. Carter
Mrs. Helen M. (Lawrence) Carter, widow of Andrew O. Carter, 83 years died at her home Monday evening.
Mrs. Carter was born in Epsom on April 11, 1846, the daughter of Joseph and Lucy (Philbrick) Lawrence. After her marriage, she resided in Lynn, Mass., and returned to Epsom 40 years ago, upon her husband purchasing the Lord farm. Mrs. Carter was a member of Ivy Green Rebekah lodge at Short Falls.
She is survived by two brothers, Abbott Lawrence of Springfield, MA, and Joseph Lawrence of Epsom; one sister, Mrs Sophilia S. Bulfinch of Brookline, MA; and three nephews and five nieces.
Funeral services were held at the home on Wednesday afternoon and burial was in Cochituate, Mass.

Valley Times Mar. 28, 1931, Friday
Baptist Church Notes
The pastor, Emmet Russell, has presented his resignation, as he had accepted a call to become pastor of the Baptist Church at Ashland, NH. This resignation is to be acted on at the covenant meeting of the church, Wednesday evening at 7:30.