Andrew J Hall Diary in pdf format

The Diary of Andrew J. Hall


This Book belongs to A.J. Hall
Lebanon, St. Clair, County, Illinois

I enlisted in the U.S. Service
at Summerfield, St. Clair, Ill
July 8th 1861) left Summerfield for
Camp Butler, Springfield, Illinois
Aug 21st 1861. Stoped at east St.
Louis over night took the cars
22nd am, arrived at camp Butler
at three Oclock, P.M.
was Sworn into U.S. Service
and bought a horse for one hundred
and twenty five dollars on the 26th
of Aug, Received our saddles
and receipted for them at thirty five
dollars on the 30th of Aug.

Left camp Butler on the morning
of Sept 4th took the cars at James
town on the great Western R.R.
changed cars at Decater Junction
of the G.W. & S.C. R.R., arrived
at Carbondale Jackson county
Illinois, at eleven Oclock P.M.
no arrangements had ben made for
our comfort we tied our horses
in the woods back of town
without any feed for them and
without any supper ourselves
some of us got into an old
school house for a shelter. I
took one of the seats for my bed
and rested as well as circumst
ances would admit

on the 5th our camp was
selected in the timber joining the
town, our camp was named camp
Logan. I belong to Co. E., 2nd regt of
Illinois Cavalry
on the 11th Sept we had every
thing ready for a move at day
light it was raining very hard
and continued to rain all the fore
noon after a mudy and fatiguing
march of eleven hours we arrived
at camp Nason near Daquoin
on the S.C.R.R.
on the 22nd Sept Left camp
Nason for Metropoles on
the Ohio river twelve miles
below Paducah

night of the 22nd we camped
near Blairsvill
23rd camped on Saline creek
24 camped near Viana
nothing of interest has occured
on our march until to night
when we came into Viana we found
several union flags proudly
floating over the town and three
Salutes from a cannon was
fired as we entered the town.
This was cheering to us for
we had ben traveling a country
Where the inhabitance strongly
Sympatheized with the South
they gave us many a sour and
surly look

after we had camped for
the night a German came into
camp and reported that we
would find the road blockaded
by rebels 14 miles from Viana
on our next days march
our men was also stating that
they had seen the trail of a large
gang of horses acrost the road
several miles back in the woods
before we got to Viana
we also remembered that for the
last 25 miles nearly every house
was vacant, sometimes we
would be some woman and
children but no men this
began to look suspicious

and began to create
considerable excitement
some thought that the trail we
had seen was a company of
mounted rebels that was
watching our movement
it is necessary here to state
that our force amounted to
about 940 men (cavalry)
commanded by Col Noble
and our arms consisted of
forty carbines and about
cattrages enough to load
them once these is all the
arms that we had to defend
ourselves with this is
what caused the excitement

we could have ben whipped
very easly some expected
that we would be attacked
before morning some was in
faver of keeping their horses
saddled so as the be ready for
a retreat in case that we
should be attacked
others declared that they
would fight with clubs
and die on the spot before they
would leave the ground
as for myself I did not approve
of the management I thought it
was not right to take us
into the enemy's country
without arms I was not the

least excited for I did not
think that we was in any
danger I went to sleep with
with my head on my saddle and
had a good nights rest I awaked
up in the morning and found
everything all right
Lieut Col Hogg with twenty
Men scouted all night
But discovered nothing unusal
on the 25th we took up our line
of march and arived at
Metropoles and camped at the
Old Fort massac a little above
Metropoles on the bank of the
Ohio river twelve miles
Below Paducah Ky

no provisions was made for
us. we had to buy bread and
meat for our suppers and sleep
on the ground without any straw
the ground being very wet and
we had only one blanket we could
not sleep very comfortable
we was in this condition four nights
then we got some straw to sleep on
soon as we came into metropolis
our boys got a secesh flag from
a yawl which was soon distributed
among the boys.
Sept 28th I must state that
since we have ben at this camp
we have ben having hard bread
and it was full of worms

the boys had become very much
dissatisfied they thought they
was imposed on and they was
determined to oppose the insult
so they formed a funeral process
ion of about twenty five or thirty
men and started with a bbl
of wormy crackers twords the
river to bury them, before they
got to the river the was two or
three hundred soldiers in the
procession the crackers and
worms was buryed together in
good order then another bbl was
taken to the quarter masters
tent and turnd out on the
ground, and three groans

was given for the quarter
master, the procession then
marched back in front of the
Col. tent one of the soldiers
made a brief but elequent
speech, three cheers was
given for the speaker and three
groans for the quarter master,
and then retired to their quarters.
Sept 29th a yawl with two
bbls of whiskey was taken from
the Ky shore the whiskey was
turned out into the river.
Oct 1st 1861 nine prisoners
Was taken by our men in
Kentucky today

Oct 3rd we left camp massac
Early in the morning for
Cairo after a march of forty
Miles we arived at cairo
About sundown no arrangements
had ben made for us we had
no tents with us and nothing
to eat until eleven Oclock
at night as for myself I went
to bed without any supper
I slept in a wagon and had
a very good nights rest
and was awaked up in the
morning by the rain beating
down in my face.
Oct 4th we went into the
barracks that the 9 regt Ills V

occupied in the three
months service. We was
completely whipped out of
these quarters by the fleas
they was so numerous and
so hungry that we could not
stand them
Oct 8th we moved our camp
One mile above cairo near
the Ohio river this camp
is cald camp Noble
Oct 18th I got a furlough for
ten days to go to Summerfield
St. Clair, county, Ills,
Oct 19th I took the the cars
on the S.C.R.R. went to ashley
took the hack for Nashville

from Nashville I road in
a wagon in company with
Joseph Pointer Lowrin Hull
and Malanklin Hull
arrived at home 8 oclock
PM, and found my family
in good health and every
thing on the place in
good order
Oct 28th left home to join
my Company took the cars
at Lebanon changed cars at
Odin took the S.C.R.R.
arrived at cairo two Oclock
in the morning of the 29th
On the 23rd of Oct Co. D & E went
aboard the steam boat Memphis

run up to Caladonia and
took abourd Co. C. then crosed
the river to Kentucky shore
opposite Caladonia then
proceded to the farm belonging
to Jasper Turner a Col in
the rebel army, took
forty eight mules and return
ed to cairo same day
Nov 25th we move to Birds
Point Missouri and camped
one mile west of Birds Point
in the timber
Dec 1st Three rebel gun boats
came up the river and fierd
several shots at Fort Holt
but done no damage

the batterys at Fort Holt
returned the compliment
and one of our gunboats gave
them chace but the rebels retre
ated down the river our
boat after a short chace
returned to cairo
Dec 3rd one rebel gun boat
came up the river near
to our batterys as was safe
for them and throwed three
shells at Fort Holt the
shells fell into the water
before reaching the Fort
Dec 4th a detachment from
Co A B E & F was sent to
Charleston MO. To capture

Some secesh cavalry
that was reported to be there
but on arriving at Charleston
we found that they had left
our force amounted to about
one hundred and fifty men
under command of Major
Bush Charleston is about
14 miles from Birds Point
Dec 6th four Oclock PM
we had orders to be ready
and in our saddles at six
Oclock for a march and to
report at head quarters at
Birds Point every man
that could go was mounted
at the time apointed
and in good spirits, we

remained at head quarters
until seven O clock when
a force of thirteen cavalry
companys had collected
then we was ordered to
Belmont to supprise
a rebel camp and take
some batterys that was
supposed to be there
the night was quite dark
and the road very mudy
which made it very
disagreeable traveling, when
we got to Belmont we found
a line of battle on the old battle
ground and within three

hundred yards of four rebel
gun boats but they was not
aware of our being there or
they would have ben very
likely to have fired on us
the place was thoroughly
reconnoitered but no enemy
or batterys was to be found
we got back to our camp at eight
Oclock next morning
Dec 9th went to a sale about
8 miles from Birds Point
to hunt stray horses
Dec 11th at day light we
started from camp in
persuit of a company of
rebel cavalry we

expected to find them
at Charleston our force
amounted to about two
hundred men under command
of Major Mudd we went
into Charleston at double
quick time the rebels had
left and gone west we
persued them and overtook
some of them at Bertrand
six miles west of Charlston
we found five of them under a
grocery they had their
arms with them their
horses and mules was
hitched to a fence at the
grocery. one man and

his rifle and mule was
found in a smoke house
on hearing that some of them
was at a Desstilery half
a mile from Bertrand a
small party started for
the Desstillery three men
was in advance and saw
two men with arms
mount their horses at the
Desstillery and start for
the swamp which was but
a short distance our men
halted them several times
but the rebels paid no attention
two of our men persued
them at full speed

and chased them into the
swamp the rebels dismou
nted each one took a tree
and fierd at our men
and killed one man and
one horse the man belong
to Co B the horse to
Co E we took 13 prisoners
and some arms and horses
and mules and returned
to our camp same day
Dec 14th our horses was
kept saddled all night
expecting that our camp
would be attacked
Dec 27th moved to cairo
camped two miles above

cairo on the bank of the
Ohio river we had just got
our tents fixed up so that
we could be more comfortable
than we ever had ben before
we have ben in this camp
two days and now we have
received orders to pull up
staks and move to
Paducah Ky our orders
is to move tomorrow
Dec 30th we left cairo by
steam boats and arrived
at Paducah late in the after
noon no arangements had
ben made for our comfort

no camp ground had ben
selected for us we was march
ed to some vacant houses
that some Ky soldiers had
ocupied some time previous
the houses was dirty and
filthy and not fit for stables
without cleaning out but our
men wanted shelter and
they contented themselves
as well as they could some
slept on the floor some under
wagons, others sat up all night rather
than to stay in such filthy
quarters as for myself
I got on top of a wagon that

was loaded, and tried to
rest I got to sleep but only
for a short time for I had only
one blanket with me. when
I awoke I was about half froze
I went to a fire in the house
but the disagreeable smell
soon drove me out.
I again tried the wagon
I got a little sleep but I was
again forced to leave my
bed on account of the cold
so I sat up the balance of
the night by a little fire out
of doors. our officers put
up at the St Frances Hotel

Dec 31st before we could
get to strike our tents we
was orderd to muster before
the review was over it was
after twelve Oclock, then
we all pitched in for getting
up our tents and to get
something to eat for we have
not had any thing to eat since
we left cairo except some
dry bread that we took in
our haversacks we got our
tents up and had our suppers
and feel two hundred per cent
better than we did this morning
Jan 1st 1862 last night we
slept on the soft side of a
plank but we was so tired

that we could sleep on any
thing that was clean. this
day I dined with Lieut Wm
Britt and Lady of Co F 9th
regt Ills V one of my nearest
neighbors when we are at
Jan 2 we have got a floor
in our tent which we find
first rate to keep our bodys off of
the cold ground
Jan 3rd we moved our
camp about four hundred
yards we have got our horses
in stables for the first time
and we have got a fire in our
tents the first fire that we
have ever had in them

Jan 6th we scouted all day
on the cairo and Paducah road
and the Paducah and Columbus
road and Paducah and Lovers
vill road we went about ten
miles on each road
Jan 9th we have received orders
to be in our saddles at three
Oclock with six days rations
at three Oclock we was ready
but the order was countermanded
we are to start tomorrow
morning at eight oclock
Jan 10th we was ready at eight
this morning with six days
rations ready for march
and a fight the streets

of Paducah was lined with
soldiers (cavalry artillery
and infantry but we was again
sent back to camp and to be
ready at eight oclock tomorrow
morning the streets of Paducah
are in a very mudy condition
for we have not had a fair day
in two weeks
Jan 11th the order was again
countermanded our orders
is to hold ourselves in
readiness at an hours notice
Jan 13th twenty five of us under
Lieut Babcock went on a scout
we went ten miles from Paducah
on the cairo road then crossed

over to the Loversvill road
and returned to camp
when we started out in the
morning it was very cold
we suffered very much and wss
compeld to walk to keep
from freezing our feet
when we was about eight miles
from camp on our return
it commenced snowing
and the wind was in our
faces and blowd so hard
that it nearly blinded us
when we got into camp we
found that we had orders to
march in the morning at
eight oclock with eleven
days rations
Jan 14th our march is delayed
until the 15th
Jan 15th our force of bout six
Thousand (cavalry artillery
and infantry) left Paducah and
marched a south cource in
the direction of Mayfield
the road was rough and frozen
hard with a little snow and
a sleeting rain and hail which
was still falling this made
it very disagreeable and uncomfor
table traveling our march
was very slow on account of
the condition of the roads
we left Paducah at ten oclock AM

and camped at sunset
in the timber about twelve
miles from Paducah. We kept
ourselves off of the ground
by carrying rails from a fence
and placing them close together
it made rather a rough bed but
we managed to sleep some
at the present time I am sitting
at by the fire to get warm and
let my bones rest it is about
12 oclock at night my fellow
soldiers laying by my side on
the rail bed and I am writing
by fire and moon light
the sky is once more clear
Jan 16th at eight oclock we

took up our line of march
twords Mayfield the weather
was very cold and the ground
frozen hard the road was so
slippery that it was very difficult
for our horses to travel for they
was smooth shod. The day
passed with any excitement our
advance guard went into Mayfield
and had a little chace after one rebel
who poked spures to his horse
and made good his escape, the
guards shot several times at
him but missed the mark
we camped one mile of May
field we jayhawked hay
enough to make us a good

bed the first bed that we
have had since we left cairo
Mayfield is in graves county
Jan 17th at eight oclock we
continued our march
the weather was cloudy and cold
in the forenoon today and rainey
late in the afternoon Co E
was the advance guard we had
not traveld more than two
hours when we came in sight
of five armed mounted
men not more than four
hundred yards distant. when
they discovered us they run
through a cornfield into a
thicket our men fierd

several shots at them
as they run but did not hit
them we caught four of them
one got away we took them
along with us at night they
took the oath to support the
constitution and was set
at liberty this day we traveld
east our right flank scou
ting party sent a mesenger
to us that they had
discovered a company of rebel
cavalry about two or three
miles from us. Co E & F
started in persuit at double
quick time when we had
road about three or four

miles we meet our scouts
returning they had frightened
the rebels away and captured
one mule. we camped in the
woods about 14 miles from
Jan 18th it commenced raining
before day light and continued
to rain all day we moved
only about three miles on
account of the mudy condi
tion of the road our bagage
train could hardly get along
the soldiers plundered a
house belonging to a strong
recesh who had ben aiding
in the rebellion

Jan 19th Layed in camp all
day on account of bad road

Jan 20 Moved about
five miles and camped
Major Mudd of the 2nd cav regt
was in advance of the colum
for the purpose of engageing
forage he stoped a the house
of Mr. Gardner who is a
wealthy farmer and a merchant
and inquired of young Gardner
if he could get corn fodder
or sheaf oats for some
cavalry horses young
Gardner took the major
for a southern soldier and
said that he could have

all that he wanted and
that his father had gone to
Murry and had taken his
rifle along with him to kill
some union soldiers that
was exspected to come
that way Mr. Gardner came
home in the night and was
taken prisoner his store was
broken open by the
soldiers who helped them
selves some horses was
taken and his rifle also
Jan 21st we commenced our
march this morning very early
and camped at night near the

Tenesee river four Co
of the 41st Ills V & four Co of the
2nd Cav Ills V was the rear
guard when near the Tenesee
river we heard sharp fiering
about one mile ahead we
supposed that the advance
was engaged with the enemy
we was orderd to examin
our arms and have them
ready for we might be orderd
foreward or be attacked in the
rear after the fireing had ben
kept up thirty or forty minits
we learnd that the fireing was
nothing but the first Brigade
fireing of the guns into the river

Jan 22nd we remained in camp
received seven days
Jan 23rd we commenced our
march down the river road
twords Paducah we traveld
about fifteen miles and camped
after night the soldiers was
very much dissatisfied
because the could not have
an opportunity to attack
Fort Henry for we was
within twelve miles of it
Jan 24th we marched eighteen miles
Jan 25 we commenced our
march early in the morning
and arived at Paducah at

three oclock PM
Jan 27th Co E under command
of Lieut E.F. Babcock left
Paducah for a scout at 4 Oclock
PM got back 28th at 1 oclock
M with three prisoners
one gun one drum we traveld
about seventy miles
Feb 7th twenty five of us
scouted all day
Feb 13th Co E left camp at
two Oclock in the morning
on a scout and returned at
five oclock PM
Feb 14th an attack is exspect
ed on Paduca it is reported
that a large body of Soldiers is

in this direction from
Columbus a close watch is
kept the picket guard is
doubled on all the roads
Feb 21st went to the Hospittle
Mar 2nd left the Hospittle
obtained a furlough from Mar 2
to Mar 30
March 3rd arived at home
March 31st Joind my company
at Columbus Ky
Apr 3rd a report came into
camp that the rebels was setting
up their tents within three
miles of us fifty of us was
ordered out to attack them we
went out on double quick

time but found nothing in
the shape of secesh some
body had got scared at nothing
Apr 6th went on a scout to
Millborn Ky
there we got a guide and went
three miles into the country
and took some furniture from
a secesh that he had stole
in Columbus the property belonged
to a Lady from NY The
property was identified by
our guide (Mr. Green) who was
gardian for the Lady we also
took six horses and one mule
and returned to Columbus
same day, Millborn is foreteen

miles from Columbus
Millborn is a nice little
Village and the inhabatance
are nearly all union love
ing people they rejoice to
think that they have got rid
of the annoying secesh soldiers
we got into town about noon
and we was all invited to
dinner by the citizens
Apr 7th ten of us with Capt.
Lipton went to Belmont
to get some secesh property
but we did not accomplish
our design the place was so
much overflowed with
water that we could not get

around much a grate
many horses are still layng
on the battle ground some
of the cannon balls are to be
seen and shells that did
not explode
Apr 12th two companey's
E & F went to Clinton Ky and
hoisted a union flag on the
Court house the people of
Clinton had said that a union
flag should not be put up
in that place, but we put
up the flag and no one tried to
prevent us from doeing so
Clinton is 18 miles east of
Columbus we got back to our

camp about sun sett it
rained hard all day ourselves
and horses was very much
fatigued Apr 13th one Oclock
A.M. we had not ben in bed
but a few hours when we was
called up and ordered to pack
up everything that we could
not carry on our horses and
put them on a steam boat to
go to Hickman which is
about 15 miles down the
river we soon got our
trumpery on the boat
at ten oclock A.M. we commen
ced our march by a circuitous
route which we was

obliged to do on account
of the bridges being burnt
between Columbus & Hickman
by the rebels when they evacu
ated Columbus we went to
Clinton and camped for
the night our union flag
was still proudly floating
to the breese on the court
house that we hoisted the day
before I was on picket guard
that night early Monday the
14th we commenced our
march and got to Hickman
about 4 oclock PM we
traveld about 25 miles
that day

Apr 15th was paid of for
January and Febuary
Apr 27th Co E & F went to Union
City then on to the Obine river
and burnt a rail road bridge
and tressel work to prevent
the rebels from getting supp
lies from Union City returned
to camp the 30th
May 1st about eighty of us
left camp provided with four
days rations we left Hickman
at noon and camped at sun
down at Troy Tenesee 20 miles
from Hickman the next
morning we continued
our march southward

at twelve oclock we
came to the obine river 17
miles from Troy we intend
ed to go on some twenty
miles further but we could
not cross the Obine on acco
unt of high water the back
water of the Mississippi
had overflowed the Obine
bottom for two miles
wide the was a small
ferry at this point but
was not sufficient
to take us acrost
this was 18 miles from the
mises a little below
New Madrid but on

The Tenessee side we
captured five southern
soldiers one was Lieut
Steward of the Co I 22 Tenesee
the others was privets in the
same regt except one that
belonged to the artillery
we got some muskets
tents, canteens, and one
cutlass powder and
knapsacks &co
we got back to camp in
the night of the 3rd and
was quite wet for it
rained all the afternoon
Apr 5th Joseph L___ and
myself was sent
to return a horse that
was borrowed for a prisoner
to ride into camp the
owner of the horse lives
8 miles from Hickman
Apr 6th we got order to
be ready for a march at ten
oclock to go to risdon
Tenesee whare some rebels
are said to be camped
the same day we went to
Jacksonville 17 miles,
we started from camp
with part of six compa
neys of cavalry about
three hundred in number
two pieces of artillery
when about ten miles
from Hickman we got
the report that the was
from fifteen hundred to
two thousand southern
cavalry in the neighborhood
of Risdon and that they
had taken 220 of our
cavalry prisoners that
was from Fort Henry
our force was command
ed by Col Hogg he imme
diately sent orders to
camp for the remaining
force at Hickman to
come up immediately

the next morning at
day light we was reinforced
by two more pieces of artillery
and four companeys of
Infantry and the balance of
our cavalry our force in all
amounted to about 550
but we considered ourselves
caperable of whipping two
thousand southern cavalry
I stood picket guard
all night we camped at
Jacksonville the next
morning our cavalry
went on to the Obine
river leaving the artillery
and Infantry at Jacksonville

the ford on the river that
we went to is about 12 miles
from Jacksonville on arriving
at that point we learnd
that the rebel force was very
strong and the river could not
be crossed for several miles
except at this point and
Col Hogg thought it not
prudent to cross the
river so we was orderd
right about and march
back to Hickman which
was a great disapointment
to the men and caused a
great deal of grumbling
for we all expected

to have some fun
Col Hogg was accused
of cowardice some said
his whiskey had given
out &co) we got back to
camp after dark the 7th
that day we traveld 43 miles
May 13th 35 of us from Co E
went on a scout or rather
a reconnoitering party
information came into
camp that the was some
secesh soldiers in the
state of Tenesee about
14 miles from Hickman
the informant went
with us as a guide

after we had traveld a few
miles the guide was sent
by Capt Tipton on ahead
but by a different road
from the one that we
traveld he was to meet
us about 8 miles from
whare we separated and
give us such information
as he should learn conc
erning the rebels
we traveld slowly along
by the rail road twords
Union City our guide
meet us as was agreed
upon he said that we
was within 2 ½ miles

of 150 rebel cavalry
Capt Tipton sent two
men back to Hickman
with a message to Col
Hogg the commander of the
Post myself and five
others was sent on ahead
about half a mile to take
a citizen prisoner one
who our guide had seen
in the morning guiding
the rebels about
we found the man at home
and made him prisoner
also another one that was
at his house we return
ed to the company

we was then marched
back to within five miles
of camp and stop to feed
our horses I was very un
well and tierd but it
was my turn for Picket
so the was no chance for
rest for myself or horse
but we had not remaind
here more than two hours
when reinforcements of
250 from Hickman
joind us and we mounted
and pushed on to Union
City exspecting to find
the rebels there
we got there about one

oclock at night and
did not find them we
then went to Jacksonville
we got to Jacksonville
at day light finding no
one there we did not
stop we went directly
to Hickman we was
in the saddle nearly all
the time for 24 hours
and our company traveld
about 85 miles and part
of the road was very
bad the first day of
this tramp we had one
of the hardest of
showers but our oil
clothes was a great protectio
n to us
May 16th we are under
marching orders
May 18th Co. E. F. G. H.
numbering about 200 left
Hickman on an expedition
down the river I was
not able to go with them
the expedition returned on the
night of the 24th they went
into Arkansas opposite Fort
we had ben under marching
orders for three days and on
the morning of the 9th of

June we struck our tents
and marched to Union
City Tennessee and camped
our force that left Hickman
was five cavalry companeys
four companeys of Infantry
and two sections of artillery
we had ben camped but a short
time when other troupes
come in.

[end of A.J. Hall's entries]

This book belongs to
Sarah J. Hall
Wife of Andrew J. Hall
331 Pine St.
Manchester, NH

The claimant files this diary
as evidence in her
claim for pension
and desires the diary
is returned to her
after his case is